It’s pointless to suggest that multi-tools are occasionally overhyped — of course they are. They’re gimmicks on gimmicks running around, and everybody has one. But no matter how over-the-top the marketing shtick, it does work. Take Gerber’s Bear Grylls Survival Pack. It’s a multitool paired up with a flashlight and a fire-starter wrapped up in a nice case. But for a gimmick, it’s still pretty solid.

Each tool in the set actually performs the function it was designed to do without compromise. The flashlight is (gasp) an LED light without crap tacked onto it. The fire-starter doesn’t split duty with a jousting lance or some other such ridiculous thing. It starts fires — just buckle it to the case and move on.

When you finally get to the multi-tool and the feature list — needle nose pliers, standard pliers, file, wire cutters, partially serrated blade, wood saw, small flathead, driver, bottle opener, scissors, crosshead driver, pierce, and medium flathead — it’s all tools you might actually do something with. This makes the whole package seem like less hype and more function.

With an entry price at around $50, it’s a pretty decent value if you’re into the whole rubber-coated, designer badge thing. We’d normally poke more fun at that, but with Gerber’s resulting kit, well, that would seem more like making the joke for the joke’s sake, and it really deserves better than that.

Bear Grylls Survival Pack [Gerber]
Street Pricing [Google Shopping]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

12 Responses to Gerber Survival ToolKit: Bear Grylls

1. FredB says:

I’d throw that in the car.

2. Bill C says:

It has Bear Grylls’ name on it so I assume it include spare keys for your hotel suite, a bottle opener, and a portable A/C.

3. Tetsubo says:

I already carry all of these things on my person at all times. SwissTool, SwissCard, Inova X5, S&W tactical pen, military style sparker w/ cotton tinder and a Kershaw Burst. I did look at the parang in his line and it looked OK. It was at Wal-Mart no less.

4. Jerry says:

Just the fact that it carries the name of Bear Grylls turns me off. One more “Wish It Was Reality” show celeb. Of course, if you were on such a show, this might come in handy for taking the food and necessities from the camera guys and production crew.

5. b. foo says:

Never been a fan of the Gerber multi tools. They seem to be made precise and with good quality steel but they are just kind of cheesy. I carry a Leatherman Wave with me everywhere because the tools actually work. I am a network admin and actually use most of the tools on this thing.

6. Eric says:

After I bought a SOG I will never go back to gerber or leatherman. The build quality is just as good, maybe even a little better. But what makes them great in my mind is the interchangeability of the tools. They make quite a few different “tools” that you can buy and swap out in the handles to customize it for your needs. And while the lifetime warranty of the tools is great I never liked being without my leatherman for weeks waiting on it to get fixed. Now I can just order the part I need for a few bucks and still have access to everything else that and then just swap the new part in in a couple of minutes when it arrives.

7. Mike says:

I understand the romance of the firestarter and the tinder, etc, but can someone explain to me how a fire-starter, and the steel striker, and that little tin of carefully collected tinder is better than an ordinary lighter? Cheap, tiny, reliable, you could light 200 campfires before you have to (easily) replace it. How many times do you expect to get lost in the woods anyway? You could carry three lighters, and it would still weight less. I’m missing something, right?

8. Jeff says:

You can’t take a lighter on a plane. Lighters don’t work when wet, when it’s windy, altitude and temp effect them and they are much more fragile then a solid metal rod. Plus the heat from the shavings will even light damp tinder. There are a number of very small fire steels on the market and you can even get sheaths for them. http://hardcorpscustoms.com/Sheaths.html

That all being said the Bear Gryls ones are sort of cheesy and while I’m sure the case with tool/fire starter/light will look real sweet on your batman utility belt I’m more of a mini Bic and Benchmade folder sort of guy.

And if I’m putting something in my car for an emergency I want a headlamp, a butane torch and real tools.

9. Rick says:

I’m surprised no one has made a urine drinking joke yet..

10. al says:

gerber used to be pretty good quality. but they’ve gotten so bad they won’t even tell you what the knife blades are made of. i’ve gone sog myself.