At first these snips from Fiskars smacked of gimmick. But the more I look, the more I think I might just want a set. The idea is simple: Fiskars claims they’ll cut just about anything you might find lying around the house, from paper to carpet to “light sheet metal.” It’s what a Swiss Army knife would look like if you started with a pair of scissors instead of a pocket knife.

To start with, the ShopBoss features nice TPR-padded grips, which look pretty comfortable. The scissor motion isn’t compound, but does feature a nice bend in the grips that looks like it’d give you at least a little bit of leverage when you squeeze them. The blades are titanium coated, too, which makes them hard as hell — and less likely to bend instead of cutting. One side of the blades is serrated, so hopefully you can saw your way through whatever you can’t simply cut. A spring in between the grips adds a little “umph” to your cutting motion as well. Finally, you’ll find a notched cutter in between the top of the grips for cutting wire and an exterior notch for cutting twine. (The exterior notch doubles as a bottle opener, you lush.)

They retail for $30, but we found ’em pretty easily online for $20. Hell, I’m considering a pair for my home tool kit. It’d do a great job of replacing the “big knife” my dad always recommended, at least for most stuff around the house.

The ShopBoss [Fiskars]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

15 Responses to The Multi-Tool of Scissors

1. george says:

these have worked great for me so far $5 wasn’t a bad sale price either.

i got similar husky hdx scissors from hd but havn’t used them enough to say much except so far so good.

2. Ross says:

Any chance these are corrosion resistant enough to take diving in salt water? I’ve been using cheap trauma shears but these look like they would work well too.

3. ambush27 says:

I’ve noticed a variety of sturdy fiskers scissors at the big boxes recently. They seem to have come out with a couple of different models.

4. Jerry says:

McGyver needs this!

5. Mike says:

Just curious, but how does a blade coating make them “and less likely to bend instead of cutting”. I wouldn’t expect that a coating would be thick enough to affect the strength that way.

• Jeff says:

The coating likely lowers friction rather than strengthening the tool. Less resistance means that the item being cut is less likely to grab the edge and roll it over.
      Plus its another cool “feature” to get you to buy these instead of the ones next to them….

• KoKo the Talking Ape says:

You are right, that 5-micron (at MOST) titanium nitride coating will do nothing to affect bending strength. It is just a very hard permanent coating that helps the edge stay sharp longer.

There are a few other issues with that paragraph. There is no way a “nice bend in the grips” would give you any advantage in leverage. LONGER grips would, but bent grips will not. Serrations are not going to let you “saw your way through whatever you can’t simply cut,” because saws don’t have serrations, knives and scissors do. Saws have teeth. And that spring between the grips will not add “a little “umph” to your cutting motion as well.” They push the jaws OPEN, not closed. Since the grips do not have loops like an ordinary pair of scissors, you can’t use your fingers to open the jaws, so you need the spring to do that for you.

Who writes these things?

• Chuck Cage says:

Short answer: me.

Longer answer: Think more, criticize less.

One by one:

The blade coating is indeed applied to improve sharpness retention. It’s harder than the blade’s primary material, so it hopefully prevents the SHARPENED BLADE from bending as opposed to cutting. The sharpened part, man. Not the whole blade.

As guys who’ve tested literally thousands of tools, we’ve discovered that hand tools which require the application of pressure are affected dramatically by the angle at which you must position your arm to use them. For example, Irwin (and eventually others) succeeded dramatically by adding a slight bend to their utility knives. While this doesn’t directly add leverage, it does indirectly add leverage as it positions your arm in a much for comfortable and effective way. Same is true here.

Serrations in blades do indeed encourage sawing. The serve little other purpose, except to cause nastier lacerations in killing knives — clearly not the purpose of knives that most people carry. Being able to saw when you can’t cut increases the utility of serrated blades over smooth, which can be quite handy. The same is true in utility scissors.

Yes, the springs push the grips open. Incredibly, we’re aware of that. The umph comes from the smoother motion established by the rhythmic squeezing that comes from the sprung grips as opposed to the squeeze, pull, squeeze, pull you get without.

Honestly, most of the posts here are critical of what we have to say, and I love ’em for it. I’ve learned more from Toolmonger readers than I can properly express here. But if you read, you’ll notice that the other comments here don’t just blindly (and stupidly) bash; they disagree. And they’re smart. The blade coating does indeed likely reduce friction. I agree that it may not be necessary and might just be a price-inflating “feature.” I like the American alternative recommendations. Maybe these are too small for some folks’ hands. This kind of comment adds to the utility of the site and benefits everyone who reads it, whether they agree or not.

All I’m suggesting here — even if you get pissed off at my response and don’t return — is to put some thought into your response or just don’t respond. It’ll make your (and everyone else’s) time on-site more enjoyable and beneficial.

6. Mike says:

You didn’t mention that the sheath is practically a tool also. According to the link above, the sheath has “deburring file, tape cutter and pencil holder”. I had wondered what the odd round parts on the front were in the photo above. I’m guessing those are the pencil holder.

7. PutnamEco says:

The problem I have with Fiskars is they seem to be sized for women’s hands, it is very uncomfortable to not be able to make use of enough of my hand, especially with something that is supposed to be heavy duty. I don’t know if this would be applicable to this tool, but I have had this problem with their scissors.

8. Jeff says:

After some reading I’m gonna get me some! Looks like a very handy thing to have on the bench. Plus its perfect for the wife to use for all those jobs where she should have used _____ instead.
    Beer opener = BONUS!

9. Audra Heaslip says:

PutnamEco:
    “it is very uncomfortable to not be able to make use of enough of my hand”

Hehehehe. [/Beavis]
    😉

10. Michael W says:

I have had a pair of the 8″ Titanium Nitride Snips in my shop for a few years. Great shop scissors. Cut leather, thin sheet metal, plastic, wire. Very happy with them.

11. boogerjet says:

They don’t let me have scissors.