Pretty much everyone is producing one of these now, and here’s Skil’s version: the 2 amp model 1400. Not surprisingly, they chose to go corded, keeping the price down and the functionality high. (I love the fact that Skil, by the way, still offers corded drills, and that most of the big box stores choose Skil as the token corded drill they carry in-store. If you don’t own a corded drill, get one today. You know, like I suggested you do back in 2009.)

Specs are similar to others you’ll see: 12,000-22,000 OPM (oscillations per minute) with a nice variable speed controller. It’s pretty heavy at 2.75 lbs, but do you really care for a corded tool?

I’m not enough of a remodeling guy to know exactly how everyone uses these, but I’ve read literally thousands of product spec sheets. This one screams to me “targeted at the one-or-two project guy who wants the right and functional tool but isn’t going to spend hundreds of dollars on it.” And by “one-or-two project guy” I don’t mean a guy who wants the tool to only last through one or two projects, but rather the guy who’s not remodeling every day — the guy who has a project in mind when he heads to the store. That’s very much Skil’s market, of course, and in my experience they serve it pretty well. Sean, for example, still has his cheap-ass $25 Skil sidewinder circ saw — the same one you’ve seen featured here in TM as well as in the pages of Popular Science. (No, really. A picture of *me* hasn’t appeared in PopSci. But Sean’s Skilsaw’s mug has.) We used Skil jigsaws to build the plywood dino a few years back, and volunteers helped us beat the crap out of them. The jigsaws still work, and I still have one kicking around.

Street pricing for this thing runs around $90, with deals as low as $75 if you shop hard. That may seem high, considering that you can find the Bosch PS50 — the upscale, li-ion version of this — for around $75, too. But remember that that’s the PS50 in tool only configuration. You’ll need batteries and a charger. The full PS50 kit’ll set you back about $160. Plus, you have to keep it charged — or if you have a long job, you’ll need enough batteries for continuous use.

Model 1400 2.0 Amp Oscillating Multi-Tasker [Skil]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon  [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Yet Another Oscillating Multi-Tool

1. fred says:

With the probable exception of the Skil-77 family of worm-gear saws – Bosch has positioned Skil as a homeowner – light duty brand – so I suspect that this oscillating tool is a junior partner to the Bosch.

Now as to your very sound recommendation to buy a corded drill: I have an old Skil 415 (probably 1980’s vintage) D-handle drill that is still ruggedly functional – but since you can no longer get this drill and a pistol grip drill might be more functional for many apllications – I’d recommend this Milwaukee:

2. Brau says:

This tool is definitely on my want list. However, I’m waiting to see which design becomes the industry standard before buying. IE: I’ve noticed they all have slightly different mounting holes and I don’t want to get stuck paying $70 for a replacement saw blade because the brand I decided to buy (Fein perhaps?)is the only maker.

• jesse says:

The lack of a standard is definitely a problem for this kind of tool. When the Fein patents expired the individual manufacturers should have standardized on the Fein tool pattern, but they didn’t. The result is that the consumer is left wondering what goes with what.

There are some adapters out there. Bosch has an ‘OIS’ adapter. Other brands may have something similar.

• fred says:

The original Fein had no pattern at all – just a round hole in the blade – with a washer and hex-socket screw to hold the blade down. The result was often blade slippage.
        Now it may be that the current Fein Pattern for blade attachment is still under patent – maybe some of the others too

3. rob says:

the funny thing is the bosch ps50 is not a bad saw but at under 15minutes if run time per charge even with 4 batteries I still dig out my cheepo corded one for anything more than a 5 minute job

how ever the bosch adapter works quite willI use dremel and knock brand blades all the time

I had hope that the dermel bosch and skill would share
    a blade system because they are all under the same tree
    of brands but someone there though they may make more money if they sell the same blade 3 different set ups
    to me it doesn’t make sense that would be 3 set ups at the factory and a extra part to include with each tool
    as my ps50 came with the adapter and I am pretty sure the dremel does as well I would hope that skill also does

4. rob says:

after looking at the photos this thing look identical other than colours to my rona brand hassusman one