Trying to get someone to switch out propane tanks at the local big box is a little like finding a leprechaun with free Superbowl tickets — rare, but possible. It can happen, but by the time it does you’ve been waiting by the cage like an idiot, holding your return tank for 20 minutes. Propane Taxi looks to change that.

The Propane Taxi service drops off a new tank that’s 20 percent larger than the Blue Rhino you get at the big box and picks up the empty for you — and you don’t even need to be home to meet them. We needed a tank for our Hero heater testing, so after a couple shivering trips to different surrounding areas where clerks were trying to find keys to cabinets and “didn’t know how to do the exchange process; I’ll have to get a manager,” Propane Taxi sounded pretty damn good.

The setup was more expensive, but standard delivery (3-4 days, barring weather) is free and next-day service is only $5.

Propane Taxi [Website]

25 Responses to Propane Taxi

1. Mike says:

Just to clarify, the tanks are the same size and cost about the same as the cheapest local stores, but there’s more propane in them (17 vs 15), so they last longer. I’ve used Propane Taxi the last few times I needed propane, and they delivered as expected. A couple of times a year, they have promotions that knock a couple bucks off your next tank, usually around those most common grilling dates, like Independence Day and Labor Day.

2. sander says:

If the company does business in Canada, I’d use them.

3. tgood says:

You’re over-paying if you use either one of the services. You get a much better price if you have your tank refilled at a service station or welding supply store.

4. Bob says:

Might be worthwhile as long as the guy that shows up doesn’t look like Hank Hill.

5. Barks says:

Just step inside the store WITH the empty tank. You’ll get immediate attention.

6. Jim K. says:

Funny, a few weeks ago I filled mine at a local service station. The clerk on duty had no clue as to how to fill the empty tank, but never questioned me when I said “Here, I got it.” and took over.

7. Ben says:

jim k.
    hilarious.

bob.
    i would want him to be hank hill

8. Toolaremia says:

Not available in my zip code. 🙁

9. rob says:

do they do 100lb tanks 🙂

10. I only use the tank exchange at wally world, when the tanks get rusty and look like hell. Otherwise I just take them to the local propane dealer, and fill them cheaper than wally world. I do a couple at a time so I always have backup. Nothing worse than having 10 buck each rib steaks on the BBQ and running out of gas.

11. Larry says:

I have fiberglass tanks so I always get them refilled instead of an exchange. Almost all U-Haul locations do refills.

12. Works great, I used them once. But in some areas (Downtown Dallas), they only deliver 2 days a week, Wednesday and Saturday. So when I ran out Wednesday night and had a BBQ scheduled Friday, they were unable to help me at any price, so alas I had to go to Home Depot.

13. zoomzoomjeff says:

Haven’t seen these in my area, but our local Menards has a handy outdoor 24-7 exchange. Swipe your card, pull open a door, and in similar fashion to an old Coke machine, you pull out your new tank, and return your old one. Handy as can be, and quick.

I once thought it would be cheaper to get mine refilled at a gas station that offered that service, but it came out being exactly the same price. So now I just swap tanks at Menards. Of course, it looks like YMMV as others have found cheaper price on refills. Good article.

• Big Dave says:

I’ve got the same thing @ the local Home Depot. BEST exchange experience ever. Takes about two minutes total. I love it.

• Mike says:

I might have been the same price, but was it the same fill? I haven’t weighed to compare them, but I’ve heard several times that the exchanges are only a 15lbs fill while getting it filled is usually closer to the 20lbs weight.

14. Simon says:

I dont suppose they deliver to the UK lol

15. Brad Justinen says:

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO TOOLMONGER. BARELY ANY GOOD TOOL POSTS NOWADAYS – AND THE ONES WE DO GET ARE PRETTY MUCH JUST PLUGS FOR THE FEW SPONSORING COMPANIES.

THERE IS SO MUCH POTENTIAL HERE BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE BLOG HAS BEEN SLOWLY DYING OVER THE LAST YEAR OR TWO.

IT MAKES ME SAD. 🙁

16. Ben Granucci says:

I’m in the camp of folks that feel that the exchange services are a total ripoff. More money for less product. Plus, if there is anything “special” about your tank (composite/fiberglass/gauge/etc) then it is probably not the route that you want to go. There are plenty of places out there where you can get a tank filled. The best deal that I know of around here is a local propane supplier who will fill a tank for $10. A few grocery stores and warehouse clubs that I know of will also fill a tank for cheap.

17. browndog77 says:

Campgrounds usually do refills as well. Suppliers who sell appliances & do bulk deliveries are most likely cheaper, as a rule. The taxi service would be a good plan if you always keep a full back-up on hand. Then the limited delivery days wouldn’t be an issue. My back-up sat empty & I ran out in the middle of grilling a steak dinner (w/ veggies) last week. Dumb!!

18. DoItRite says:

Costco is doing propane tank filling at a few test locations. Standard price for each size tank, if it is starts out empty or half-full. Looks like a good deal if you make sure that they are empty when you bring them in. Just wish that the test marketing location was a little closer to me.

19. Brau says:

Costco has the best fill/replacement price around here. Never had a problem with service. Conversely I have waited seemingly forever at gas stations just to have an unskilled teen struggle to recall how to do it.

20. Paul says:

Local exchange places want between $25 and $30 for an exchange but I can get a tank filled for $10-$12. I’ll just keep getting mine filled. The place I have mine filled usually puts 19-20lb in the tank also. Someones its full enough a have to release a little. Releaseing some gas is a bit of an inconvenience but I know for SURE the tank is as full as it can get.

21. Josh says:

Refilling at Ace Hardware of BJ’s wholesale have been the goto place for me. Or the local Amerigas. Never had a problem finding some one. Swapping is on;y good if you have a crappy tank and want to try and get a new one.

22. Jerry says:

Ya’ll are forgetting the BEST THING about Propane Taxi (or any “At-Your-Home-Delivery-Service”, you DON’T HAVE TO LUG that tank. Now I have NO PROBLEM carrying the tanks, empty or full. But for just a couple of bucks more than it cost to go to a Home Depot, I’ll GLADLY pay Propane Taxi to come to my front door and swap out a tank, WITH, (or so I’ve been told, a couple of pounds of more propane than you typically get at a mega-store. Plus, how many times have you swiped your card at one of the mega-stores, and then had to go inside to find a clerk, because the damn door didn’t open. Two bucks, eight quarters more, NO BRAINER.