You’ve got a big-ass 18V drill/driver. And you’ve got a sub-compact 10.8/12V for smaller tasks. But what about micro-sized tasks? Think of this little cordless screwdriver as the automated version of your micro-driver set. It’s about the size of a large pen marker — 10.75″ long and just 1/2″ wide — and two AAA batteries turn it at around 100 RPM.

Seriously, the idea of a cordless micro-screwdriver had never occurred to me. Generally when I break out my small screwdriver set, it’s to work on tiny, fragile things that I wouldn’t dare trust to a power tool. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned from Toolmongers it’s to never assume that the way I use a tool is the way everyone uses it. This little gizmo would be handy as hell if, say, you needed to take apart something held together with 50 tiny screws.

Its quick-change chuck accepts 1/8″ bits, and it ships with six of ’em: 1/8″ and 1/16″ standard (slotted), #0 and #00 Phillips, and T6 and T5 star. You also get a holder for the bits. And it seems to sell for around $15-$20. (We found it at Home Depot for the high end of that figure, and it’s available for $16 from Amazon.)

One thought, though: Is something like this useless without variable speed?

Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Street Pricing [Google]

9 Responses to A Seriously Tiny Cordless Screwdriver

1. Yeah, seems useful to me. If you’re working on something delicate you could still use the tiny power driver for taking screws OUT, and running screws most of the way back in again as well.

And then there are those jobs where something only has five little screws holding it together, but for whatever reason you have to take the damn thing apart and put it back together again eight times…

2. Brett Wolfson says:

Something like this would be good when working on small electronics for disassembly. Without variable speed I probably wouldn’t use it for reassembly.

3. Jerrick says:

Lowe’s has reduced prices to about $6.

4. DeadGuy says:

I have one and use it frequently. I’m an IT guy and it is invaluable for tearing down hardware. Have you ever seen how many screws hold in a laptop screen?

It is NOT good for inside the computer, just for breaking it down. There is no way to completely demagnetize it and magnets and computers don’t do too well together.

I have a buddy that is big into model airplanes and helicopters. He uses one for his repairs. He has a full shop set up, except everything is teeny-tiny to work on the models – drivers, pliers, ratchets, compressor, sanders, and even a miter saw, drill press and table saw that are in miniature.

I get a catalogue for miniature tools – if you’ve got it in the garage or shop in full size, they make it in miniature – model mechanics is a huge market – planes, trains, cars, helicopters and motorcycles.

5. Jim K. says:

@DeadGuy

Agreed, this is an IT person’s best friend at times. I just had to tear down a touch screen all in one computer for an exhibit where I work to replace an inverter for the screen. Due to the design of the box I counted some 45 screws in my tray before I got to the component I needed to replace. (side note- all but one went back in. Still wonder about that last one and what it was supposed to hold.) 🙂

6. Rick R. says:

You know, I hope this one is better than a similar Husky tool I bought at the big Orange… http://bit.ly/pTxAzw

That tool was disappointing. The power actuation is vvveeeeryyyy slooowww. Which is great when you’re putting in a delicate screw, but when you want to pull out a bunch of screws, you really don’t need to be sitting there having it turning so slow that you could remove it by hand faster. I also have the small precision Husky manual drivers. Has a bunch of bits stored in the handle (this power one has the bits all separate and no easy way to store them besides the big bulky retail “case” it came in – which is more packaging than a proper case.) – Said cap for the handle storage on the manual driver spins freely, so you can put your index finger on it and spin the driver by hand.. works very well.

I would love to see a miniature driver like this that has a much faster rpm, but with an adjustable torque clutch so you can set it quickly to not over-torque delicate screws – but which let you quickly spin them off (and even screw them back in rapidly until they meet resistance).

7. Mike Lee says:

I brought mind from lowe’s (Clearance) for 5 bucks.

8. mike says:

I bought two of the Home Depot versions, seems useful, $5.99, or some such price. I liked the tool, not real high quality but a dozen bits, batteries, and the motorized tool for cheap. Plus it’s red. What’s not to like?