When out and about in California, we’ve noticed an almost fanatical loyalty to the Makita brand power tools. So fans of the white and black 12v max line will be happy to know there’s a 3/8” impact wrench being added to the line.

The WT01W model impacter is the Makita lithium-ion answer to Bosch, Milwaukee and DeWalt models of the same function. Not surprisingly, the specs sound very familiar: 1000 in-lbs of max torque and overall weight of 2.1 lbs. The new Makita hotness also features a variable speed 0-2,300 RPM and 0-3,000 RPM with high and low gears respectively.

Obviously this is targeted towards the automotive end of the scale — and we’re always happy to see more competition in the ever-expanding 12v Lithium-Ion crowd. What we’re really curious about is whether the Makita brand can muscle back into the areas which used to be solely their playground back in the days of cordless, pro- power tool infancy?

Expect pricing to follow in the same range as the other Maikta single tool kits at around $120.

WT01W Impact Wrench [Makita]

6 Responses to Preview: Makita 12v Impact Wrench

1. John says:

High and low gear on an impact wrench? That doesn’t sound right.

2. The Motts says:

The specs should be 0-2300 RPM and 0-3000 IPM or impacts per minute.

3. John says:

That’s weird too; does the hammer hit the anvil every .767 rotations?

4. ambush says:

I think rpm is measured with no load and and impacting under stall. Probably works out to two hammers each hitting once per revolution at 1500 rpm full load. with 2300 rpm free speed. But I don’t know for sure.

5. Brendon says:

What input voltage are the chargers on these? I’m in New Zealand and looking at getting one.

6. lens42 says:

If I were king. I’d decree that all these compact 12V Lithium-Ion tools use the same battery. They are so *close* it’s maddening. How great would it be to be able to buy a Milwaukee drill, after you’ve already started out with a Bosch driver. I know it’ll never happen, but I can still wish.