Think of a die grinder as the grown-up big brother of the rotary tool, an industrial-strength version originally designed to help tool and die pros sculpt molds. Around my dad’s shop, we always had air-powered die grinders which mostly saw use as rotary files. In hindsight this might also explain why we never had consumer-style electric rotary tools kicking around. But regardless, I have to admit that Makita’s is the first 18V cordless version I’ve seen.

It makes sense, though. One would imagine that there are bound to be some shops out there that do day-to-day production grinding/sanding/lapping/etc. yet don’t have other reasons to install an air compressor and run air to all the workstations. I suppose this might also work wonders for anyone who does machine work in remote areas.

Makita’s model sports a 25,000 RPM motor, a barrel-grip design, and a slide-lock switch. An overtorque sensor keeps you from burning up the motor, and Makita’s spec sheet notes that they’ve arranged the vent slots to prevent motor exhaust from blowing on you while you work.

The whole thing’s apparently a bit new, as Google doesn’t turn up pricing for the tool-only release yet. Of course, if you’ve found it for sale, let us know in comments. I’m interested to see how it compares in price to similar cordless angle grinders. And hey — if you use one of these, we’d love to hear from you as well.

LXDG01Z 18V LXT Li-Ion Cordless 1/4″ Die Grinder [Makita]

10 Responses to An 18V Cordless Die Grinder

1. Chris C. says:

One thing you rarely mention in your reviews — noise. I have an air-powered Husky die grinder, and this thing is LOUD. As a result, I always have to break out the hearing protection when I use it, and it is still annoying.

Is this electric one quieter? If so, that could be a major selling point for the occasional user.

2. kyle says:

As a kidwho has grown up esposed to air tool noise i find such issues to be the least of my concern when using tools. Generally however higher quialtiy tools have a lower noise level.

3. Daniel says:

selling for $119can tool only

4. Phil says:

This might not be such a bad idea. Aside from a positively ancient B&D electric die grinder, my die grinders are pneumatic. While having the majority of the tool heft behind the grip area could be fatiguing, not having the hose or cord might make up for that. Using the 1.5Ah “slim” packs can help versus the 3.0Ah. Not having to roll out the hose and firing up the compressor for a quick job is another bonus. I’ll put this in the “for future consideration” category.

5. rob says:

looks like makita has found a way to weasel even more of my cash from my pocket

6. fred says:

Been using Dotco pneumatic grinders in the shop for years – can’t see this tool competing – but may buy one to try anyway for field use – certainly in a competitive price range (cheaper than our Dotcos) – and since we’ve standardized on the LXT line for our 18V tools – this can be a bare-tool purchase for us.

7. Kurt says:

I have air in my shop, and use right angle grinders for surface preparation – the roloc system is very good. I prefer my corded Makita for general grinding, especially detailed work in fiberglass. The balance is good, and I don’t have the air hose, which is much heavier than the cord, getting in the way. It is quieter, especially when you add in the noise of the compressor to the air tool as grinders eat up a lot of CFM.

Personally, the cordless version doesn’t have a lot of appeal to me as it seems to be bulkier, and battery life, and my shop has plenty of electrical outlets LOL.

8. rob says:

so totally would be a hand rail installers tool
    your out side you weld up the hand rail
    and not you need to clean that weld in a tight coped
    steel railing get out the cord drag out the grinder fight with he flap wheel in the tight spot or if you luck to have a corded die grinder you get the job done quick and spend just as must time rolling up the cord

I use air one at home but no air on the welding truck
    and with a bunch of lxt stuff totally would go for this

9. Jason says:

Variable Speed? is important if you’re using bits for aluminum as they clog up if the tool is spinning too fast. Speed control is also useful working with wood. Steel, not so much – you’ll probably want it on full blast all the time. Personally I need speed control for what I do and it doesn’t look like this tool has it.

• browndog77 says:

For aluminum or wood all you really need is a Dremel or similar devise, many of which are VS. Die grinders are high-speed by definition.