We’ve heard no end of moaning and wailing about the restructure of Delta and their subsequent move to Anderson, South Carolina — everything from, “They’re headed to China next!” to “One step closer to oblivion!” From everything I’ve seen, I’m just not feeling it.

The move isn’t even fully completed yet, and already the new Anderson facility is up and running building BIESEMEYER accessories and getting hardworking folks to build quality gear.

If we’re not mistaken this gentleman is welding up Unisaw cabinets.

Our point here is this: With the economy in the fragile shape it’s in, here we have a manufacturer that was purchased by a larger foreign company and could have quite easily been packed off overseas. Instead, we have a facility opening up in an area where employment is tough to find and people need work. Whatever else might be happening with Delta, I find it difficult to be cynical when I see a plant that’s not fully set up yet with hard work already going down.

(I got a kick out of the Big Ass Fan in the second picture too — not sure why.)

Delta Tools [Website]

15 Responses to Delta: Hard At Work

1. jonathan peterson says:

Glad you mentioned the fan, it’s so OMG gigantic that I didn’t even notice it. You sure that’s not a helicopter mounted to the ceiling by it’s skids?

2. karst says:

The fan is made by a company called Big Ass Fans.

3. Jerry says:

Delta – never a huge fan (pun) of their stuff but it is nice to see Americans getting those jobs. I’m sure that the company is somewhat kicked around by the folks it will leave behind, jobless.
    What I noticed in the second pic was the guy who is obviously upper management. Too casual to be the top dog, but still stands there, watching, with his hands jammed into his pockets.

4. Toolfreak says:

Foreign owned doesn’t mean much, it’s where the products are made and what goes into them that means a lot. I’m surprised they just did a move within the U.S. and didn’t just turn into another overseas manufacturer, but maybe that shows the owners have some understanding that keeping enough of the process in the U.S and the subsequent “Made in USA” designation is still worth something to the customers who buy the brand.

I have no doubt more American companies will be brought under foreign ownership, and some will even have their entire product lines made in China, but it will hopefeully just be temporary while the American economy gets back on track. It might take a few decades, but I’m hopeful some of the great brands will come back to us one day, or perhaps just new ones will take their place.

5. Brau says:

Whether something is made here or there is irrelevant to me. Two things are; quality and choice (variety). Unfortunately I am watching choice disappear as smaller names get swallowed up by bigger ones who ultimately reduce the choice/variety to a couple best selling models, claiming price is driving their decisions.
    It is spreading to everything, not just tools. IE: There was a time when I had no less than six brand choices of peanut butter at any local store. Today, those small food chains are gone and every megastore I go to carries the same two or three; Kraft, Skippy, or Adams. It’s like going back in time to hear Henry Ford saying I can buy a model T in any color I want … as long as it’s black. No thanks, I want a Chevy, in white.

6. Nick says:

If anybody is doubting South Carolina craftsmanship the value of our workers just take a look at the BMW X3, X5, and X6, all manufactured in Spartanburg, SC and the new Boeing Dreamliner, being assembled in North Charleston. These facilities, along with smaller facilities like Delta’s are a point of pride for everyone in the state, regardless of what you do or where you live. We make things here in South Carolina and we’re proud of it. We’ll be seeing your jobs soon…

7. ThatOneGuy says:

No offense but the new BMWs are crap. Nothing like the old ones. New Mercedes are worse though I guess…

8. zor says:

They probably told SC that they were going to hire 40 people to get massive tax breaks. Then, what they really got was a mechanized distribution center with a one man fab shop to assemble whatever cabinets that weren’t cost effective to put in shipping containers. Not yet, anyway. All metal and other components arrive from over seas. And here’s the kicker:

“Borie said the company would get rebates on a portion of the state withholding taxes collected on employees’ wages.”
    (from http://www.independentmail.com)

YOW!

9. Reagen says:

So how is Stanley a foreign company? I know they moved overseas to dodge taxes, but then moved back after they got called out for it.

10. Reagen says:

Nevermind – I missed the news of February.

11. Audra Heaslip says:

I freakin’ LOVE the Big Ass Fans. There’s one at the local gym here and it keeps cool air moving across the entire floor that has all the weight lifting gear. I wish all the gyms had them!

12. zor says:

They’ve got a big ass fan in the Super-Walmart garden center, too. The kids love it. And that company has been around for a good while which is interesting.

13. SuperJdynamite says:

“It’s like going back in time to hear Henry Ford saying I can buy a model T in any color I want … as long as it’s black.”

The reason assembly-line Model T’s were only available in black had more to do with the technology of the era than anything else. The black finish was Japan Black — an asphalt based finish that could be baked dry in about 48 hours. The other available finishes took weeks to dry.

If you’re putting together an assembly line and all the steps take a few hours tops except for the last which takes two weeks then the effective time to produce one unit becomes two weeks. If you replace that final step with one that takes 48 hours then the effective time to produce one unit would drop to 48 hours. The attractiveness of the lower unit production time is why assembly-line Model T’s were only available in black.

14. Toolfreak says:

@ Brau

It’s pretty sad none of those stores carry Jif or Peter Pan.

Those are pretty much the biggest names in PB.