Fiskar’s UpRoot Weed and Root Remover is like a Weed Hound with razor-sharp teeth. The stainless steel, serrated claws cut deeply into the soil to get at the roots of weeds like dandelions and thistles.

The shaft is made of aluminum and has bright orange markings so you can easily find it if you put it down on the ground. Capturing the weed is as simple as placing the UpRoot over the weed and stepping down on the foot. You then use the foot as a pivot and lever the weed out of the ground with the handle. To eject the weed you push down on the lower part of the handle while holding the upper part.

Pricing for the UpRoot starts around $30 before shipping.

UpRoot [Fiskars]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to UpRoot Your Weeds

1. Alan @ it's not work, it's gardening! says:

I haven’t used this, but have seen it in the store and have seen similar tools from other manufacturers. My main concern is durability. Moving parts on a tool that you’ll be jamming into the ground, stepping on, and levering (?) seems risky. It does have a lifetime warranty though according to the site.

2. Brau says:

I have a much simpler cast iron version that I’ve been using for about 25 years (still made today). They’re good for yanking dandelions, crabgrass, and other creeping weeds. I’ve examined the Fiskars version but don’t like all the plastic and small parts. It doesn’t seem robust enough to last.

3. Kris says:

The old stile that Brau refers to is called “Grandpa’s Weeder”, available many places. On Amazon it’s over $10 cheaper than the Fiskars product.

4. Brau says:

@Kris

That the one! Thanks. I couldn’t find it via search on Google because I didn’t recall the name.

5. Austin says:

I really like my Grandpa’s Weeder, It has a hardwood handle, only one moving part, it’s all heavy duty cast. I expect it to last a long time. It also works great. Soil conditions need to be in the right moisture range for it to really work, too dry and you can’t get all of the root, but I LOVE not having to bend over so much. Any time I am bored I can get it out and pop out a few dandylions without getting my hands dirty. The Fiskars looks flimsy by comparison.

6. Old Coot says:

I need one in pink…that way I will have a better chance of conning the Mrs. into using it.

7. Dave says:

Hey O.C., I got my light and guiding star a pink pickaxe a while back. The color didn’t seem to matter that much.

8. Bennicus says:

Can’t speak for this product itself but I really like the pointed spade shovel from Fiskars. It’s pretty heavy with a triangular steel shaft and lasted me several years and dug up lots of roots and bushes with it. When the weld finally broke I went into Fred Meyer where I bought it originally and exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. A properly equipped toolmonger could have welded it back together – just saying that my experience with their lifetime warranty was great.

9. Blandman says:

Even though my experience with Fiskars products has always been better than average, put me in the group with (Kris, Brau, and Austin) that is sold on Grandpa’s Weeder. We’ve had ours for years, and I’m sure it’ll still be around for one of my kids to snatch from my tool shed just before they ship me off to the nursing home. (Hoping that day won’t come for at least another 30 years.)

10. waq says:

I had this weeder but it rips your lawn to hell and leaves much of the root behind. Ended up giving it away.