When I used to get splinters in the wood shop, my dad would always pull out this set of high-grade tweezers he kept around. Unlike the standard flimsy ones you normally find at the grocery store, his were pretty stiff and sharp as hell. And they worked. Sure, it hurt a bit. But once the splinter was out the healing could begin. That’s why the standard pimp-my-product email from the PockeTweez people kinda stood out for me. I haven’t seen ’em in person, but they look pretty interesting.

The PockeTweez’ thick cast arms look fifty times as sturdy as my dad’s medical-grade tweezers, which should mean you’ll be able to put some real squeeze on whatever you got stuck in your hand. The release says they’re sharp enough to stab, which is why they integrated them into a swivel-deploy case, rendering them pocketable.

The release also claims that the company’s founders worked around the lumber and millwork industry in central Oregon where “precise-tipped fathead tweezers were crafted by employees from planer blade stock.” They say this portable version draws on that experience.

Like I said, I haven’t tried a set. But I’m tempted. At $25 (shipped), they’re not too horribly expensive, and having a set of really functional tweezers in the shop saves a lot of pain.

PockeTweez [Corporate Site]

18 Responses to Fathead Tweezers

1. Jerry says:

I would only have one complaint about this product. No, I haven’t tried it. I just thought that if any company wanted you to “pimp their product”, they should have sent you a freebie for your mention. A nice promo on here should have been worth a $25 tool.
    Maybe they will read this and realize the error of their ways. I might buy this if it was tested and recommended by Toolmonger. I wonder what others think about this?

2. donutboy says:

looks like someone is a mountain biker….. 🙂

3. minh says:

I just got mines in the mail 2 days ago and I think it’s worth the $25. It will be the last pair of tweezers that you’ll ever buy. The thing I like about them is that you can tell that the product was machined because there are still machining marks on it which I think is cool! You also get lifetime sharpening (not sure why you would need to though). I also like supporting small american businesses and this is definitely such a company. The envelope that mines came in was HAND WRITTEN! I also got a following up email after I ordered it. That’s just too cool!

4. Dan says:

There’s a demo video here:

Impressive, but painful to watch a splinter that must be half an inch long coming out..

5. Chris says:

I like my Uncle Bill’s, and I’m pretty sure they were cheaper than $25 (which is kind of a lot for tweezers). These do look pretty sturdy and useful, though.

cl

6. SCWetherbee says:

We always use needle pointed precision tweezers in our shop. We get more steel wire, tiny wire, pieces in hands and such than wood, but either way, if the end is below the skin you wouldn’t reach it with a fathead, the needle points are the way. Not too expensive either, $15 or so from either Grainger or McMaster-Carr, I forget now. If I really gotta dig something out of my own hand, I use one of my lancets from my blood glucose meter poker thingy.

7. Frank Townend says:

I’m sold, just ordered a pair.

8. 99octane says:

That’s serious craftsmanship. You don’t see something like that every day.
    Good tool.

9. DiItRite says:

I’ll stick with Uncle Bill’s. I’ve had them for years and they’re a lot cheaper.

10. James says:

Those uncle bill ones are great but if you get them get the one that comes with the holder clip it protects the clip and its good for a key ring

11. fred says:

We have a a few pairs of surgeon’s splinter foreceps that look a bit like these:

Ours work well at pulling out both wood and metal splinters

12. kyle says:

A good sharp pocket knife can make quick work of many splinters. I have also herd of, but never tried using machinists calipers for tweezers.

13. Measure Once Cut Twice says:

Best tools for me to get splinters out are:
    lighted magnifier so I can see them,
    Merthiolate or iodine so I can see them (makes better contrast, helps find the little bits that remain after you pull out the main part)
    a sharp needle and/or sharp Xacto knife
    Then good tweezers.

14. Dave P says:

Don’t carry them on a plane or into a courthouse.

15. Scott says:

A. G. Russell field tweezers have the holder clip. They work well, although they do not have a very slim tip, and they fit in those plastic pocket coin carriers well.

16. Frank Townend says:

I’m back. Ordered on 2/10, in my mailbox today.

Received a nice e-mail right after ordering and responded letting them know I “heard it on ToolMonger”.

Impressions:

Very well made, quality machining, easy to use. I like the keyring hole, very handy. Nice set of printed instructions.

I will probably order another one when my wife sees this pair.

17. Gary says:

Those look good. I’ve got these. They work very well and the probe works really well as well, even if it does look medievel.

18. Pete D says:

Damn you Toolmonger. I mean that in the best possible way. I’ve got the County Comm version of the Uncle Bill tweezer, which is great for backpacking, but these are obviously better albeit heavier. They won’t be going with me on the trail, but I ordered a pair of “Pocketweez” for myself and some as gifts for family.