You’re tired of cutting sheet metal by hand, but you don’t want to invest in expensive metal shears. Solution: Grizzly’s inexpensive G9947 rotary shear mounts to your bench top and cuts sheet metal up to 16 ga.

With its 11″ handle, the compact rotary shear only weighs 4 lbs. The roller can be adjusted to make either straight or curved cuts.

The shear is simple to use. From the manual:

1. Raise the handle and engage the pawl in one of the ratchet notches.
  2. Place the sheet metal between the upper drive wheel and lower wheel.
  3. Pull the handle down with one hand as you feed the sheet metal with the other into the cutting wheel to begin shearing.

Pricing for Grizzly’s rotary shear starts at $21 before shipping.

G9947 Rotary Shear [Grizzly]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Bench Top Rotary Shear

1. A.Crush says:

I have never had much luck getting a regular shear, or even super special and expensive metal cutters to do much other than hack a line through a sheet. Maybe if you took your time with a really nice one you could get a straight, smooth cut, or maybe shears aren’t meant to give a clean finished edge.

Either way, the rotary mechanism on this one looks to be just the thing to keep the cutting action going, though I’ve never used a shear with this type of cutting mechansm before. Looks nice though. At $20.95 plus the reasonable shipping, this looks like a great buy for metal work. Probably made in China, though. Still, I’d probably get one if I had a shop with a workbench or a surface to mount it to, along with a metal brake.

2. Toolhearty says:

Interesting… and the price is sure reasonable.

Still, you’re not going to get a nice, straight, square cut as you would with a table-type shear.

I think I’d rather save up my pennies for one of these:

3. Caladin says:

Looks good for cutting “sorta” straight lines, but if you want to cut curves you’re going to be dissapointed, the cut sheet goes on either side of the
    frame and you’ve got no room to turn. if you want to cut curve, especially inside curves you’ll want a throatless shear.

4. DiItRite says:

That one at Northern @Toolhearty refers to seems to be the same as an HF model for $100 less, (of course an extra 20 percent below that if you add one of those coupons = $332)

Anyone had any experience with these?

5. jgreat says:

I have not used this specific one, but I have used a different rotary shear before, and found it difficult to do precision cuts with it. I do have a HF throatless shear (b3 Berverly shear knockoff). I think throatless its the way to go for curves and with a bit of practice you can do a pretty good “close enough” straight line.

If I must have perfect straight lines, I take my metal down to a local fabrication shop and have them cut it on their big shear for a couple of bucks.

6. Robert says:

I have the wholesale tools version and it works OK for a lot of stuff, the main issues being that it does leave marks along the edge of the cut (the shear wheels are serrated to aid feeding) and it really struggles with 16 gauge (and 18 galvanized), it’s just not rigid enough…

I have cut quite a few curves (sometimes cut close and trim to really curved areas) and it’s as precise as the operator can follow the line, but for straight lines I’d probably just use the table saw with an appropriate blade.

7. Keith says:

I have this shear and it does not work that well even on thin sheet. I was hopeful since it was so compact but I have not used it much since.