Have you ever been stuck without a pump and had to inflate a queen-sized air mattress using only your lungs? I have, and I wouldn’t recommend it; I nearly passed out several times. A pump is the obvious solution, but why buy a pump when you can use another tool you already have?

Not all Shop-vacs and knock-offs have a blower, but if you have one that does, attach Shop-Vac’s inflator nozzle and you can blow up beach balls, mattresses, pool toys, or any other low-pressure inflatable product. The nozzle works with both 1-1/4″ and 2-1/2″ diameter hoses.

You can find the inflator nozzle starting around $10.

Inflator Nozzle [Shop-Vac]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

12 Responses to Blow Things Up With A Shop Vac

1. zoomzoomjeff says:

Doh! This is a “why didn’t I think of that?” item.

2. moco says:

i wish it could do bicycle tires

3. Discobubba says:

But what kind of Tool aficionado wouldn’t have a small compressor available for such circumstances.

Of course either one wouldn’t be very portable or easy to travel with which is where a simple pump still comes in handy. I pack one up along with my air mattress when on the go, but wouldn’t mind replacing it with a smaller pump or maybe a mini-compressor.

4. Bennicus says:

These make blowing up inflatable rafts so much easier. I get funny looks breaking out a shop-vac out at the river marina, but it fills the family regatta faster than anything else I have found.

5. aaron says:

bennicus has the main point. this will do it faster than anything else!

6. zoomzoomjeff says:

Damn right. And isn’t that what being a toolmonger is about?! LOL

7. Mac says:

I think my shopvac may get more use as a blower/pump than as a vac.

Have a handheld battery operated mini pump that came with an airmattress bought years ago that is good for portability. It’s not real strong, but it blows (pun intended) away huffing and puffing.

8. jonnyp says:

I bought one several years ago , it sucks. Literally, it is not worth what they are charging. Your better off blowing things the hard way than 30 minutes listening to a shop vac.

9. ChrisW says:

Jonnyp, it sounds like the mattress had a valve which restricted the airflow. I agree this is not a good buy. I just push the vac’s hose up against the mattress and within 30 seconds it is full. I use a battery powered one for car camping. Once I had to blow one up by mouth. The trick is to breathe at a normal rate to avoid hyperventilation. A mini compressor is not much faster. They have high pressure but very low CFM.

10. JacksonR says:

When I have to inflate ski tubes and mattresses and the like, I break out the electric leaf blower. It’s pressure isn’t that high, but it’s volume flow rate is fast, and this is what counts here. It sure beats “huffing and puffing” or using a bike pump.

11. 99octane says:

“Blow things up”… I believed it was a tutorial to use a vac to make things explode… 😀

12. Stinky McGee says:

Why not buy an air mattress with a pump built in. Best $35 I spent was on an air mattress with it’s own air pump.