Although not as precise as Incra’s Protractor, Stanley’s Premium Adjustable Quick Square lets you mark angles in degrees and includes several handy scales for framing a roof. The square functions as a saw guide, a bevel for copying angles, and a protractor.

You set the angle on this 12″ square by moving the adjustable arm to match the correct reading on the scale and locking it down with a thumbscrew. Stanley coats the aluminum square in black to contrast the yellow graduations and make them standout in both sun and shade.

On their website, Stanley provides a comprehensive 60-plus-page manual on using the Quick Square, and includes definitions of common roofing terms and several reference tables. Pricing for the Quick Square starts around $13.

Quick Square [Stanley]
Quick Square Manual (PDF) [Stanley]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

20 Responses to Stanley Adjustable Quick Square

1. Ben says:

i have one of these. my dad gave it to me.
    to be honest, i hate this thing and never use it.
    i actually absolutely hate the thing. it doesn’t do one thing great.

• John says:

This is one of the more valuable hand tools on our jobsites. I have 5 framing crews of 3-6 guys each and EVERY single one of them has one of these in his bags, as well as one of the 12″ ones per crew. They are invaluable when cutting rafters, trimming truss tails, cutting barges, cutting stair strongbacks, and other things. You can set the pitch and every rafter you cut will match, and you don’t have to try to fit a framing square in your bags which can be tough when you’re wearing a harness and have tons of other stuff to carry.

• Macca says:

Where can I get one of these 12 inch speed squares about as stanley has stopped making the older steel grey version .
        Please help 🙁

• Macca says:

Hi ben
      Can i buy this square from you .
      Kind regards
      Andy

2. fred says:

This tool has been around for years – and never got a lot of traction with my carpenters – but hey – if it and its 10 inch big brother have been around that long it must sell – and someone must like it.

Some shorter time ago CH Hanson introduced a pivot square – which does fit a niche in framing roofs

3. Dave P says:

I got one of these from a guy I used to live next to. I was supposed to give him 10 bucks for it, but I never had cash when I ran into him. He was always like, ‘No problem bro, hit me laaaater,” but I moved without paying. That was almost 8 years ago and every time I open that drawer of my toolbox I look at that square and I think, this thing wasn’t even worth stealing.

4. Jerry says:

I’ve seen these around for some time. One of those things you pick up and look at in the store but usually put it back and determine you really don’t need it.
    I looked at the manual and it is pretty clear that the main purpose is roof work. Most framers are so used to cutting with a plain jane framing square that this is more of a useless gadget to them. So, who is buying them? I would guess it’s DIY’ers who have little experience and might be thinking of building a storage shed or some such.
    Thinking back on all my projects over the years, I would very likely never have used this had I bought it. But……it is yellow and black!

• jordan says:

seriously you are all un educated, this is a vital tool for all roof works and makes life much more simple, you should see the roofs we pitch you would have no comeback

5. metis says:

wow, you guys must never cut anything other than a 90 or 45. i picked up one of these years ago when i was working in theatre, and knew i was going to be building a set with a lot of odd angles. since then it’s been my go-to square for any circ saw work.

it is not as fast as snapping in an notched angle on a compound miter saw, but you make up the time by not hiking over to a fixed tool.

it’s not a precise as a nice angle jig and a table saw or a well calibrated radial arm, but framing is a good bit more forgiving than cabinet making.

if you only make square cuts, don’t bother, but if you’ve got an old house, or you need to make a cut that’s not at a multiple of 45, it’s wondrous.

probably 95% of the time it’s locked at 90, but those other 5% it saves my tuckus.

6. Ben says:

ya metis
    i never use it for my circular saw much as im mostly in the shop.
    and when i do get out building structures i usually am so anal at getting it right i move to the chop saw and a bevel gauge.
    i could see it being used with a circ saw though, might try it next time im out there. good tip.

7. metis says:

it’s all about what the tool is used for. don’t knock a hammer if you only use screws. there’s a time and a place for many boutique tools, but that doesn’t mean that they’re for everyone.

a lot of folks are convinced some tool is bad because they can’t use it. i can’t sort out the interactions of prescription meds, but i’m happy my pharmacist can.

8. fred says:

@metis

A lot also has to do with what you were weaned on and/or habits develeoped over the years. I’m more at home with plumbing tools – but our framing crews seem to use traditional framing squares and Swanson speed squares – not these Stanley’s. As I noted – these have been around for a long time – so they must sell to some segment of the working population.

9. wh says:

I swim against the tide. I have used both sized Stanley Quick Squares since they first came out. To me they are absolutely irreplaceable. Before them I used the Mayes Squangle. I am a professional roof cutter with over 40 years serving in that capacity.

10. Tommy Fraser says:

If you don’t know how to use a speed square, then why would you consider buying one?

This tool is a specialty tool intended for cutting rafters. Its a framer’s tool, so if you aren’t framing you’re wasting your time with this. This is the best rafter square on the market.

11. Macca says:

Where can i get one pf these 12 inch squares( i live in uk ).

12. phil ward says:

I have had one of the 6 3/4 inch adjust squares for a number of years best tool in the bag for building trad roofs but could do with the larger one i.e. the 12 inch .
    where can I get one in England
    yours hopefully

phil 07765658456

13. phil ward says:

I`ve had one of these 6 3/4 inch adjustable squares for a number of years. best tool in the bag for the building of traditional roofing, but could do with the larger `12 inch version, where can I get one ?
    yours hopefully

phil 07765658456

14. Gary says:

Where do I get one of these squares

15. Steve Y says:

Hardly a do-it yourselfer tool. I have cut over 200 sets of circular stairs using this tool. I makes stairbuilding and cutting rafters so much easier. Maybe you should try reading the book that comes with it, the little numbers actually mean something. Assuming you can read. Or just keep your sawzall smokin and the hatchet choppin.

16. Chris wood says:

This 12″ quick square is amazing bring it back I can’t believe they stopped making it