We get lots of crazy press releases here at TM, and a lot of ’em go right in the circular file. This one, however, caught my eye. Looking past the AS SEEN ON TV feel, it seems to address a real problem: your hard hat can only protect you if you’re wearing it.

The Hat Grabber site claims that on job sites, workers often take off their protective headgear because “they won’t stay on your head, they’re uncomfortable, and they fall off when you bend over.” Their product — a grippy pad — fastens to your hat’s suspension gear, adding a little bit of padding to make it more comfortable and to allow you to crank it down tightly enough to stay on your head.

In theory it looks like a pretty decent idea, and for $12 it doesn’t seem like it’s overpriced. But I’ve spent exactly zero full days on a job site. What say those of you who have? Good idea, or late night TV junk?

The Hat Grabber [Corporate Site]

12 Responses to Hot or Not: The Hat Grabber

1. Stuart says:

For a crazy press release this is actually quite a good idea if it works as advertised. Many construction workers have asked us if there is such a thing like The Hat Grabber that they could purchase, it seems now there is 🙂

2. rg says:

That might help. But I wonder why it is in North America we don’t have hard hats with a chin-strap? I’ve noticed it seems fairly common when you see, for example, Japanese industrial workers on TV. Their hard hats have a strap. How complicated is that?

I’d wear one. I can’t count the number of times my lid has fallen off when I bend over. If I have the adjustment cranked down hard enough to stay on, it becomes really uncomfortable, really quickly.

3. hmbemis says:

Not…

Simply because I got a pair of hard-hats from Home Depot (of all places) for about $15 that have a tightening wheel and large padded band… they’re comfortable (as far as hard hats go) and they stay on your head when bending forward…

4. Joe says:

I have to agree with the chin strap comment, as someone who has done a bit of climbing/rigging, climbing helmets are plenty comfortable and stay on well with the chinstrap.

5. Mike says:

I’d definitely consider it for my welding mask…it often pulls hair out at the back of my head when they get stuck in the wheel mech.

6. jeff_williams says:

When I took the “Hard-Hat Tour” at Hoover Dam a number of years ago the hardhats they used had chin straps. They were an ugly baby blue color though so I never wore it again after that but I seem to remember it being a fairly elementary attachment. Perhaps someone could market these along side the band pad.

7. Dave says:

rg, you can get a chinstrap for a hardhat for 2 or 3 bucks. They’re common as dirt.

8. olderthanyou says:

Totally agree with hmbemis. If you crank the wheel hard enough they do stay put.

9. IronHerder says:

Late to the party, again.

For chin straps, borrow from a bike helmet (if you can’t find one that your kid has outgrown, or find a cheap one at a thrift shop or tag sale, you are beyond my help). To pad the head strap, borrow the hat band from an old fedora or cowboy hat (also from thrift stores, etc.)

My philosophy: light a candle when possible, but that doesn’t mean you have to quit cursing the darkness.

IronHerder

10. Dustin says:

The idea that hardhats “fall off when bending” is an excuse I hear all the time. Wearing a hardhat everyday for many years now, I can tell you, if you spend that $12.00 on, say, the MSA V guard that I have, there is no issue as it’s one of the most comfortable cheap hats I’ve used. It stays on no matter what position.

this just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. The only time I see that maybe being a real problem is when using hardhat mounted equipment like face shields.

• Allen the carpenter says:

I to have been wearing hard hats for well over 20 years and yes mums falls off all the time while bent over maby because I have a large head many because I sweat alot but it is a problem not an ecuse

11. Jason says:

You guys are missing the boat sure you can buy a chin strap but who the heck wants to have something rubbing your chin all day long. Especially in 110 degree heat. I tried the chin strap once upon a time. It sucked especially for a guy who has just shaved the night before talk about a long day. And the guys saying you should just crank it down I tried that too that is just asking for a migraine. I think this looks like a pretty good product I think I’ll try one out.