TM reader Dan tipped us off to the awesome video above (originally posted on BoingBoing) in which a guy cuts a three-dimensional deer out of a block of wood with nothing but a slightly-modified bandsaw — in under a minute.

No, I’m not kidding. Take a look and I’ll meet you back after the jump.

I’ll admit that I agree completely with the first YouTube commenter: Even more amazing than the craftsmanship is the fact that he still has all his fingers after whipping them around a bandsaw blade that way. Still, that’s some incredible artistry. I wonder what the guy can do when he takes some time?

Sadly I couldn’t find much information on the bandsaw mods. At the beginning of the video we see a title indicating that the mods include “polyurethane tires” and “precision-ground blades.” I’m guessing that the tires might allow him to make those super-tight turns, and the blade is obviously extra-sharp. Do any of you know about these mods? Anything that’ll turn a basic Craftsman saw into something like we see in the video is worth a feature here on Toolmonger.

9 Responses to Badass Bandsawing

1. karl says:

there is a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gmzra_5_c with a guy cutting a reindeer. He talks about using the carter blade stabilizer on his band saw setup.

2. Dave P says:

Yup, Carter makes all kinds of bandsaw upgrades. A surprising amount of 14″ bandsaws are made with the exact same [chinese] castings–the pricey ones just have better guides, tires, and different paint/stickers. You can upgrade the crap out of a basic saw for the same price as a high-dollar one, and the results will be far better. You would be amazed at the stuff you can do with a nice blade and better guides.

3. Andy H says:

This is the standard band saw demo at every woodworking show. At last weeks “Woodworking Show” in Maryland they had a “stacked set of reindeer cut.

They not only demonstrate skill, but advertise the blades and accessories for the band saw, not hacks.

4. jesse says:

The great American woodworker Sam Maloof was famous for his skill at shaping furniture pieces on the bandsaw.

5. Bill says:

I agree with Robert, Carter Products were at the New England Woodworking Show last weekend and ran a very good demonstration of bandsaw setup. The stabilizer is designed to enhance tighter radius cut and is actually run with no lower guide.

6. Jim B says:

I think he’s done this before.

7. RZ says:

I also attended the WWS at Springfield. I purchased the guides for my Delta BS. They work great with no drift. I did not yet buy the scroll stabilizer guide but no doubt will soon.

8. M says:

it’s not “under the minute”