Made for sanding picture frame miters, Logan Graphic Products F200-2 Precision Sander Elite can sand molding up to 3-1/2″ wide. The 10″ disc sander can be set up to form perfect left-hand or right-hand 45º miters. Out of the box, those are the only angles it can sand, but I bet with a little modification you could extend its abilities.

The Sander Elite comes with squaring and disc cleaning tools. Pricing starts around $130 before shipping. If it wasn’t so expensive, this looks like it would be an excellent “power” tool for kids.

Precision Sander [Logan Graphic Products]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Hand-Powered Disc Sander

1. Gary says:

Interesting. I think I’m going to continue to look for one of the old Marsh or Stanley miter sanders though.

2. Dave A. says:

That’s easy fabricated in 30 minutes.

3. Patrick says:

Hmmm…another reason I have to learn some rudimentary metal-working skill. That would come in extremely handy some time. Could even switch up the crank and maybe use a hand-cranked spindle sander.

I sense some new projects jumping on my list.

4. metis says:

dave

my adorable furry little tuckus you can make one in under 30 minutes. even with an accurate CNC mill you’re looking at a solid 10 minutes of milling, bending and a good bit more than that in programming, not including assembly. designing it on the fly you’ll still have to account for your prior time sourcing and organizing materials. and to lets say .02` from 45 with micro adjustments and true perpendicular to the axis?

yeah, i can cut a disc of mdf out and shove it on a bearing, but that’s not going to come close to fitting frames.

i’m seeing a disk sander in cocktail with a potter’s kick wheel or treadle and an osculating spindle sander in my future. maybe a drum off to the side….

5. olderthanyou says:

Metis
    I love that image, but you need to know it’s spelled tuchus.

6. fred says:

The other alternative to sanding a miter joint is to shave it – either with a plane and a shooting board or with a trimmer.

Lie Nielsen has jus introduced their version of the old Stanley 51 plane ($500) – and their web site says that a metal shooting board (like the old Stanley) is being planned. Lie-Nielsen also sells a No. ( miter plane for $375

The other alternative is the Lion Trimmer – for which there are various knockoffs

7. Pete D says:

I’m seriously thinking about making a disksander out of the next flywheel exercise bike I see at the curb. Im thinking you could crank that thing up and have two handed sanding for a while.

8. Measure Once Cut Twice says:

I’ve used both, but never really found a big difference in performance: disk vs. belt – what’s the benefit of each?