For many, the term “vacation” implies exotic locales or large ocean-going vessels. But for Toolmongers, often a vacation is a little time in the shop making things for yourself rather than checking off a project on someone else’s to-do list. These wall mounts for a pair of low-end audio monitors were my quick weekend project just after the Big Day.

They weren’t a big deal to build — just a handful of odds and ends constructed from bits of discard found in the scrap pile. The structure of the shelf is formed of 3/ 4” oak veneered ply and the trim is just a bit of 3/ 4” solid oak with a routed edge.

As the pictures suggest, there’s really not much to them: a glued/nailed butt joint with a diagonal brace mounted under the chin, and down the face of the wall a mounted piece for strength. Then I mitered and laid in the trim to cover my plywood shame. A little cherry finished Danish oil and two coats of shellac later, they were ready to mount.

If you look carefully at the first picture in this post you will see my mounting strategy. It can be summed up in one word: lazy. A pair of 3 1/ 2” toggle bolts in a staggered pattern anchor each unit in place. It’s a little overkill for holding an 8 lb. monitor, but it was for myself and I wanted the quick option — mostly because it’s the holidays, but also because I’ve never made a wall mountable object I didn’t end up obliged to hang as well as build for the recipient. This time, inset hardware and a time-consuming install was not in the cards.

Still, it was a fun little project that allowed me to putter about the shop for a while and play with power tools — and that, by definition, is a good time.

6 Responses to Projects: A Pair Of Wall-Mount Shelves

1. Jerry says:

Basic, simple and danged attractive too! Nice little project to quickly solve a problem.
    Absolutely high class when compared to a similar need a friend had – screwed those ugly metal shelf supports to wall and attached speakers with caulk! I wish I had taken a picture though.

2. Mike Block says:

AWESOME little idea. It’s like the pet door. Sure, it’s simple, but I sure as heck didn’t invent the darn thing. THAT took genius. I’m looking at this thinking – I have that same wood in my shop.

A friend of mine worked for the phone company. He installed a phone for me and said, “Mike, since it’s you, I’ll show you a trick. He drilled a half inch hole behind the phone plate (it was a wall-mount) and tied a piece of fishing line to a big screw. He pushed it through the hole and dropped a plumb down the front of the wall plate. Just above the molding at the base of the wall, he drilled another hole and stuck a bent coat hanger into it and pulled on the fishing line. He cut the line, holding one end, but dropping the screw into the wall. Now he could run the phone line inside the wall and have it come out the bottom near the floor. He told me he hated having to staple down the wall in a nice apartment. Now I use that method for EVERYTHING. I hate seeing wires. Se if you can do that with those shelves. I assumed since you said toggle-bolts, you’re talking drywall? It’s really easy to hide cables behind drywall. Good luck!

I’m rummaging in my closet now to see if i can make something HALF as elegant as your “day-after” project. I hate the plastic speaker mounts I bought. They clash with the hardwoods in the rest of my living room. Thanks for the solution.

Cheers!
    Mike

3. Brau says:

Nice job. Unlike my father-in-law, I’m assuming you affixed these 8lb speakers not to vibrate off the shelf and crash to the floor?

4. Chuck Cage says:

@Brau: The beautiful thing about studio monitors is that they’re generally pretty isolated anyway to improve sound quality. At bare minimum they have rubber feet. Many (like mine) are internally-isolated.

P.S. This isn’t the first set of these Sean built. He’s being modest. He actually had the idea about two years ago and made me a set. 🙂

5. Thad E Ginathom says:

Nice but…

These are nearfield speakers, meant to be fairly close to your head. Of course, you didn’t include you head in the pic, so maybe they are!

Ideally, they should also be a couple of feet away from the wall.

Brau… he may be using the pads which are supplied which, while they may not soak up all the vibration, would almost certainly stop them moving.

I have these same speakers, either side of my monitor, each one sitting on a stack of books! How’s that for quick-and-dirty speaker stands?

6. Liz says:

@Mike Block. Thanks for the wiring tip. I was mounting 5 surround sound speakers and getting the wiring in the wall was great. Got the wire into the basement and got it hooked up to the DVD Player’s wall plate. Very slick.