TM reader Jason tipped us off to this awesome piece of holiday news from CantonRep.com:

Mel Yoder didn’t know what to make of the box that recently showed up outside his home. The package — cardboard held together with tape — had his name repeatedly scrawled across the sides. […] It turns out that the package was dropped off by a snake of sorts, a thief who long ago stole Yoder’s circular saw. It took five decades for the guilt-ridden party to return it.

The circ saw — a Porter-Cable, by the way — was stolen from Yoder’s truck when he stopped for coffee after a job back in 1959 or 1960. He told CantonRep that “the loss hurt, but he never bothered to file a police report; he just moved on.”

Be sure to check out the article for the full story. It’s so nice to hear this kind of story around Christmas time, isn’t it? I love that Yoder’s so forgiving about the whole thing. That’s worth thinking about if you ever consider helping yourself to something in the back of a contractor’s truck: Just picture the hard-working guy shrugging and heading to the store to hand over that measly profit for a replacement.

Or think about the time Sean and I saw some landscapers just about beat the living crap out of a guy who considered kiping tools from the back of some other guy’s truck. You never know who’s watching.

50 Years Later, Thief Returns Stolen Saw [CantonRep.com]

9 Responses to Guilt, Reconciled

1. zoomzoomjeff says:

This is story is epic! The look on the owner’s face is worth 1000 words! lol

2. PutnamEco says:

There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That I sometimes wonder who should be reforming whom.

(paraphrasing Edward Wallis Hoch)

3. dreamcatcher says:

It looks as if it was even returned with the original blade. How nice.
    Well, I guess so much for retirement…back to work Yoder!

4. Brau says:

Well used, abused, and worn out. Sheesh. I’m always amazed at how the selfish always manage to give back the smallest possible amount in order to assuage their own guilt. A card and a mere $20 dollar gift certificate would have even been nicer, but no, not that much.

5. Chris W says:

I agree with Brau.
    The thief should have returned the cost of a saw in 1960 adjusted for inflation and with 5% interest.
    Of course, it could be that the thief recently died and a third party returned it…

6. Eddie says:

I think the guy’s expresson says it all. (Thanks a lot pal… why couldn’t you return this when I needed it. A lot of good it does me now. It’s not even in working order.)

If this guy does feel guilty he hasn’t done anything to make it right.

7. B. Foo says:

Thats why you keep security cameras. So when the scum returns your property (out of the goodness of their heart pffft) you can find them and beat the tar out of them. I hate thieves more than anything. There is no excuse for taking what does not belong to you. Returning it later solves nothing.

8. ttamnoswad says:

This story is fucking pathetic……….it took someone 50 years to develop a guilty conscious and grow enough balls to do something about it?

If the guy actually delivered it in person…….that would be bare minimum for me to feel pride and honor in humanity again.

9. ttamnoswad says:

think the police could get some fingerprints off the tape on the box?