I’ll admit that I’m a sucker for cool-looking multi-tools. (I still love my Skeletool.) So it’s not surprising that the Zilla-Tool Jr. caught my attention. It wraps up all the basics — a 2-1/4″, black-oxide-finished blade, a pair of pliers, a wire cutter/stripper, a screwdriver, and (oh yeah, baby) a bottle opener — in a slick, non-reflective package that’ll surely scare the crap out of everyone at the office.

We’re also pretty big fans of end-deploy pliers. They feel a lot more like standard pliers than the flip-out type in old-style Leathermans. They’re a lot less quirky, which makes it a lot easier to apply force where you need it. This one’s surprisingly sleek for an end-deploy tool, too.

One drawback, though: The grip is largely plastic, which means it might not hold up well under heavy use. (And all our knives seem to get heavy use around the TM shop.) Still, the Zilla-Tool Jr. checks in at only $30 — a hell of a lot less than most of the high-end all-metal models you’ll find.

Zilla-Tool Jr. [CRKT]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to A Practical, Tactical Multitool

1. Tom says:

I am still not sold on knives in multi tools. I still a knife (emerson mini cqc-7) 100% of the time and a multitool (SOG Paratool) 90% of the time. I can count on my fingers the number of times I have actually used the knife blades on my multi-tool.

2. tom in ventura says:

in the “avoid problems with the TSA” category (and agreeing with the previous Tom), I’m wondering how easy removing the knife blade might be. That way I still have the pliers and screwdrivers in my pocket, which is pretty much what I want a multitool for.
    Also, where’s the cap lifter?

3. tom in ventura says:

from the CRKT page, I see you’re supposed to use the pliers handle as a cap lifter. I suppose it makes a much sense as caplifter as screwdriver

4. Chris says:

Tom in Ventura: Doesn’t look like the knife blade on this one is easily removable. I think those are rivets, not screws.

Say what you will about Leathermans, but at least their tools are easily removable and interchangeable (if you have multiple multi-tools the same size).

cl

5. ZAW says:

TSA took my 7/16 wrench that was attach to my keyring.

6. Jim K. says:

@ the Toms: Personally I wouldn’t buy a multitool without a blade in it. I find plenty of use for it in my daily life. Admittedly it’s not my favorite knife, but for simple utility I find it’s nice having pretty much everything I might want at my fingertips. As for the skeletool type design, I’m not a fan though as I find that grime gets in through the holes and gunks up the works. maybe I just need to take better care of my tools, but then that’s not really the point of carrying a multitool for me. I prefer something to beat the heck out of and keep on going.