Got a busted-ass cordless drill driver you’re thinking about depositing in the circular file? Home Depot will recycle it for you from now through October 27th. Here’s the deal: They won’t give you anything in exchange for your trash gear, but they do promise to recycle it correctly — including that environmentally-ugly battery with all its chemical nastiness.

Depot tells us that they recently lowered the price a bit of eleven li-ion drills, so maybe you can see one of them in your future. Regardless, might as well use the opportunity to dispose of any old batteries you’ve got lying around.

(And yes, the drill pictured above belongs to our friends over at Toolsnob.com. RIP beloved drill: 2004-2006. We feel your pain.)

6 Responses to Home Depot Wants Your Busted-Ass Drills

1. Rick says:

Hasn’t Home Depot always had a battery recycling program? I recall seeing a bin at my local store.

2. DDT says:

yea but not a drill recycling program.

3. Office Bob says:

Where can I take my busted ass-drills?

4. Steve says:

“Where can I take my busted ass-drills?”

Throw it at the HD employee who sits around doesn’t help you or yells at you for using their movable stairs to get something for the second shelf.

I was there a few years ago and asked the guy in the screw and nail isle where the 12d stanley gun nails were. He says “12d, those are finish nails, right?” And that moron worked in the nail isle, not garden or paint. I didn’t even say anything to him, I just walked away shaking my head.

5. John says:

This looks a bit funny to me.

A drill has very specific know components in it. The battery chemistry, the steel, the copper.

They’re just going to smash them open (with a hammer or press), harvest all those and weigh them in as scrap.

The batteries are still full of fairly pricey chemicals even once they’ve taken a beating.

Seems like they should at least give you a lollipop or something for it to enjoy as you browse the store.

6. metis says:

or bring them over to your local hacker/makerspace and see if anyone wants them for a project. we’ll happily take em at tcmaker for the chucks or motors, they’re great little project bits.

hackerspace.org will probably have a local tool friendly space near you.