Ryobi started the recall today of around half a million 18V cordless drills due to a problem with the switch, which “can overheat posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.” The CPSC reports that “Ryobi has received 47 reports of the drills overheating, smoking, melting or catching fire, including 12 reports of property damage to homes or vehicles. Two of the incidents involved minor burns from touching an overheated switch.”
The model in question is the HP 1802M Cordless Power Drill (pictured above courtesy of the CPSC) made in China and sold at Home Depot between January 2001 and July 2003. If you own one, the CPSC recommends that you immediately stop using it, remove the battery, and contact Ryobi at 800-597-9624 (between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Mon-Fri) to receive a free replacement drill.