Finally, a practical use for jewelry — the Hand Twine Company’s Ring Knife! You wear the ring knife on the finger of your choosing and slip the curved blade under twine, plastic strapping, or other packaging materials you need to cut. It can also be used to cut tape, ribbon, cardboard, small branches, or even light-gauge wire.

The Handy Twine Company fastens the ring knife’s heat-treated steel blade to the aluminum band with nickel-plated brass rivets.¬†They claim they have made their knives in the U.S. since the late 1800’s with the same American materials since World War II.

They sell the ring knife in sizes 3 to 18 and stamp the size on the band for easy reference.¬†Although you can purchase a dozen ring knives for $33 through the Handy Twine Company’s website, if you wear a size 7 ring you’re probably better off buying one at your local Harbor Freight for $1.50.

Ring Knife [Handy Twine Company]
Ring Knife [Corporate Site]
Ring Knife [Harbor Freight]

Tagged with:

12 Responses to With This Ring I Thee… What?

1. Keith says:

Yep, I recall having some of these rings (courtesy of my Grandparents) back
    in the late ’60’s, so I can vouch for them being around that long. As for
    usefulness, if you have to cut a lot of twine bound packaging open or twine
    bound bales, they do that well – not really sure that they’re good for much else though.

2. Byron says:

Just make sure you also can afford to buy mutant healing too…

3. Ben says:

This close to Halloween I am thinking Freddy Kruger!

4. Kevin says:

I remember I first saw these (or something similar) in the beginning of “Nightbreed”, an early Clive Barker film.

So these are for revealing your true face?

5. NickC says:

This page shows it being worn: http://worldtools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_32&products_id=3098

Seems like a great way to cut yourself. If I where building it I would have a guard to keep the blade from being pressed down into your finger. Which infact they make: http://www.handytwineknife.com/product/safety-tip-handy%C2%AE-twine-knife which has a safety tip.

6. blore40 says:

The Grim Reaper has this tool on his leatherman.

7. It’s hunting season, will it skin a deer?

8. Robert says:

These are common place in warehouses and have been for years

9. Dave P says:

duuuuude, pete, that’s a good idea!

10. ScaryFast says:

I have one of these. I thought my dad said they used it for cutting a line along a log before peeling the bark off back when they had to manually strip bark from trees they cut down, but it never made sense to me. Seems like trying to cut through bark using a ring would really hurt and not work very well.

11. Jon says:

When I was in high school I worked in a newspaper distribution center, this was the knife I always carried. Cutting the plastic straps on bundles of paper or cutting a piece of twine to tie up extra papers, this was the fastest, most convenient tool around. I used it for years and never once cut myself, you just need to make sure you have the right size.

12. perry says:

I’m a 3rd gen millworker, and they’ve been the same since my grandfather used them to tie moulding bundles together. the “custom fit” feature from the website cracks me up. I remember guys having to wrap twine or tape on the ring to make it the right size after all the popular sizes ran out.

everyone in my family has a few in their “junk drawer” for various uses, like halloween :O