There are tons of ways to hold shelves, but I’ve never seen a way that easily lets you change the height of the shelf without removing the contents first, like Monterey Shelf claims their Speedy Shelf Strips can do. However, looking at the design it seems like it might be a little easier to raise the shelf than lower it.

The individual Speedy Shelf Strips are either 18″ or 24″ long and have interlocking ends to make longer strips. There are no extra pins or brackets to lose — the spring-loaded supports are integrated into the strips. The co-polymer polypropylene strips can be cut with a knife or saw and can be installed either with screws or nails. Monterey Shelf claims the strips held over 150 lbs. per shelf in the lab.

Speedy Shelf Strips are available in white, almond, beige, medium brown, dark brown, black, or custom colors upon request. You can find the 18″ strips in white, medium brown, dark brown, and black for $2 each at Eagle America, but pricing gets a little better if you buy more.

Speedy Shelf Strips [Monterey Shelf]
Speedy Shelf Strips [Eagle America]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to Move Shelves Without Taking Stuff Off

1. Mark says:

It looks like you could also run small power cords down the side, using the gap created by the brackets to create a cleaner look. I like them.

2. Ken says:

It doesn’t look like there is to much space between each support maybe a couple of inches.

3. Jerry says:

I like the design, but…..I think a router could get those things down flush – only the shelf support extending past the edge. Close together is nice as it would definitely make it easier to move a loaded shelf a little at a time.
    I’ll have to hunt one down to experiment with. Looks fun.

4. fred says:

Maybe its just me – but nothing says craftsmanship like polypropylene – faux wood colored shelf standards.

5. Scott says:

Creative, but how many times are we adjusting shelves in our lives. Looks like a lot of effort and cost to solve a 1% problem.

6. Dave P says:

Yeah, I’m thinking of the number of times I’ve adjusted my kitchen and bookcase shelves. Once or twice the first week, then never.

7. Gary says:

For all the cabinets and bookcases etc that I’ve made, nobody has ever adjusted them. Granted we’re only talking about half a dozen pieces of furniture. I asked the person in question what they wanted to put on a shelf and built it accordingly. Completely agree with Scott about it being a 1% problem. I also think furniture looks more clean without holes or other adjustement devices.

8. ChrisW says:

A solution looking for a problem. Even regular adjustable shelves should be secured to the back to help avoid sagging.

9. aaron says:

I’m pretty sure that for bookcases I build for my own use at home I will never need to incorporate adjustable shelves. I thought I would, but then I built my first one with fixed shelves, and it is 100% fine as it is. Maybe for utility use in the garage/shop or for wall shelves in a kid’s room, but those would be a different design anyway.

adjustable shelves are WAY overrated.

10. Nicholi says:

I have been using speedy srtips for over 20 years. Never had a customer complaint. They work so very well in many applications, but best in kitchen cabinets. Shelves too long with a lot of weight could cause a problem, but I have not seen too many issues.