Browsing the Lee Valley website, I discovered yet another way to hang pictures on the wall: the Push & Hang hanger. This is in addition to the long line of other ways to hang pictures, including Monkey/Hercules Hooks, 3M Command picture hanging strips, push pin picture hangers, or the trusty old hammer and nail.

EZR offers a few reasons to use Push & Hang hangers over the other methods: They install fast with no tools, there’s no mess to cleanup, and they’re reusable. The command strips aren’t reusable, and a nail requires a hammer, but for the most part the advantages they give apply to the other methods as well.

Five of the 10 lb. Push & Hang hangers will run you $7. In comparison, 30 Monkey Hooks will run you around $10, 3 sets of medium 3M command picture hanging strips run about $4, and 3 of the 20 lb. push pin hangers run $2, all before shipping.

Let us know in comments — what’s your favorite way to hang stuff on the wall?

Push & Hang [Corporate Site]
Command Strips [3M]
Monkey Hook [Corporate Site]

Tagged with:

15 Responses to Reader Question: How Do You Hang Pictures?

1. Eric says:

I’ve used the push-pin hangers you show above, and have been pretty pleased with their ease of use. Their readily available at the big-box stores, and I can get bulk packs or a nice combo pack for a variety of applications. I find that placing a coin over the pin head gives me a better pushing surface and doesn’t kill my thumbs. Of course, I haven’t had to remove any yet (we just moved into a rental house two months ago), so we’ll see what the walls look like when we move out in a year or two.

The Push & Hang look reasonably good, however. I’m intrigued by the thought of only have a couple of small slits in the wall after removing. I think I might have to get a sampler pack to try…

2. DanS says:

>>How Do You Hang Pictures?

Nail, hammer, level. Maybe tape measure, if I’m feeling ambitious.

3. dijital101 says:

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use the 3M Command strips unless you have gloss painted walls. These things will affix themselves molecularly to paint that has any tooth to it and in turn usually tear the paper from the drywall even if you follow the directions verbatim.

4. DoItRite says:

Nothing beats a 6d finish nail into a stud. An 8d for larger picture.

But, my wife really never wants to hang it where the stud is, so for a bigger picture often I’ll use 2 of the type that have a nail guide slit above the hook, like these:

They work well, and have the benifets of being simple, time-tested and cheap!

5. Cameron says:

The push pin hangers like those pictured, with the hardened steel pins (not the cheap ones silver colored ones that cost nothing), are the only thing I use on plaster walls. They go right in with a tap of the hammer without chipping the plaster.

6. Jim K. says:

I typically use the same style as DoItRite’s link. I’ve found them to work well. That said, in a pinch I’ll often use whatever I have handy. The question I have is what people use for mounting shelves.

7. Slow Joe Crow says:

I hang pictures with old fashioned hooks, or common nails if the picture doesn’t have a wire. For shelves I use standard and bracket shelving screwed to the studs, or molly bolts for lighter stuff.

8. michael says:

I hang wall pieces, not paintings so much, some being ceramic weighing a hundred or more pounds–I cut a simple french cleat or use a commercially available wall-dog.

9. metis says:

depends what and where. picture rails are great for a wonderful reason, but for drywall and plaster without rails i like the pin nails and hooks, with a pilot through plaster. small hole to tidy when it’s moved, and unless you’re a doofus with pulling them out, very reusable.

10. Chris says:

I used the 3M command strips, since I thought it would be nice to not poke holes in my walls.

In my house I found they last about 2 months, then start randomly releasing. Dunno if it is the humidity of a California winter, or the face that it is fashionable to have slightly textured (instead of smooth finish) walls around here — but they are pretty useless when you randomly get photos crashing to the floor.

I’ve had friends who swear by these, so perhaps it is just the walls in my house which are not compatible with these.

11. Brau says:

The biggest problem is finding any of these products when you need them. Usually all most stores carry are the most basic brad and twisted hook, so I mostly end up using a good ol’ nail in drywall, or pre-drill and a screw for plaster on lath.

I have tried the 3M strips and can’t recommend them for anything more than hanging kitchen towels inside a cupboard door. Eventually they fail.

I would never recommend that 4-pointed steel one (upper left) as it would tend to shatter the wall board gypsum too much and unlike nails the tines don’t fully penetrate, meaning it would break the front of the wallboard out.

I saw a consumer show test the “bent wire” style holder and it bested most other types. Interesting physics came into play that weren’t expected. Even when it did fail (under unusually high load), it didn’t drop the load, the anchor just ripped slowly down the wallboard and the load stopped at the floor without damage. Other brands dropped the load once they failed. Easy to use, simple to install, safe. I’d use them if I could find any ’round here, which I can’t. Typical.

12. waq says:

the bent wire hangers can be made with coat hanger wire. just need pliers.

13. Wes says:

Personally, I love Beehive Hangers. (Not associated, blah, blah, blah.)

14. Rich says:

Hey, here’s a question: what is the difference between a nailed hook and just a nail driven at an angle? I could never figure that out. Seems like they’d hold the same.

15. Erik says:

What do people suggest for old crumbly plaster walls? I’ve had a hard time finding good solutions. Like one of the posters above, I also live in California and have the “textured” walls – and probably wouldn’t trust sticky solutions anyway even if the sticky solutions matched the wall surface perfectly. I heard a nail into a stud with a pilot hole drilled, but are there any other good solutions?