We have long said that someone needs to start throwing kits together for the DIYer/Homeonwer crowd that arms them with the tools they need to get things done around the house. Not drills and saws (others have that covered), but the more obscure home maintenance chores. We knew someone would come up with it eventually, but we didn’t expect it to come from Campbell Hausfeld. Yet the FP260097 Home Improvement Kit and its three like-minded sibling packages are exactly what we were talking about.

It’s not rocket science; tell someone what they need to do then give them a package with all those tools in it for an entry-level price. Apparently someone at CH has their head on straight because that’s what they did. They also threw in an instructional DVD that tells you how to start getting done the projects you bought the kit for.

This may sound like gimmicky crap at first, but think about what that might do to fledgling DIYers trying to hold their place together or mend furniture that tight budgets can’t replace. Those consumers might come back to Campbell Hausfeld next time because they took just a little extra time to invest in their education. Stranger things have happened.

Those of a cynical mind will no doubt will say that there are both higher quality tools out there and you could get all the same gear at the big box and come out for roughly the same cash — in this case about $140. You might even be right except for three points:

1. It’s Campbell Hausfeld; they are basically as inexpensive as it gets.
  2. They’re shooting for the DIYer who might not know what tools should be on the list yet.
  3. Compressors and air tools can be very intimidating if you’ve never had your hands on one and a step-by-step guide isn’t a bad way to go if that’s true.

If you knew nothing about home maintenance, would you be able to put together a kit like the FP260097 that can help with: interior sealing, exterior sealing, roofing, landscape, molding, building custom furniture, outdoor accents and flooring/construction? Campbell Hausfeld can, so they put this and three others like it together.

Kit (Model FP260097) includes 2 gallon air compressor, storage bag and:

Blow gun and nozzle
Plug
Coupler
25 ft. air hose
Project DVD
BONUS Caulk Gun

The other kits in the series swap out a brad nailer for a stapler or a few smaller hand tools for an airbrush, but you get the idea: focused and usable gear on the cheap.

It may not be the most glamorous brand name on the market, but it could be the difference between a frustrated DIYer and one with a fixed-up home, which is the point. Plus, CH might get a few longtime customers who remember what a cheap bag of tools and a DVD throw-in did for them when they needed help and didn’t have a ton of cash.

Look for the kits to be at the local big box in the months ahead.

Model FP260097 Home Improvement Kit [Campbell Hausfeld]

6 Responses to Campbell Hausfeld’s Forward-Thinking Kits

1. Shopmonger says:

I think this is a a great kit, good idea for them to get in some consumer diy kits that make life easy, job related, the hard part will be to have several of these that don’t overlap much, in order to not have the person who is buying them get 10 levels and 10 speed squares…

ShopMonger

2. Stephen K says:

My only question would be whether or not a small-time DIYer really needs this stuff. I think that you can get by fine without any air tools for most things. I thing that a good, old-fashioned staple gun gets the job done for most things as does a pull-handle caulk gun. I dunno, maybe it’s just me balking at the price tag, but I would gut it out for the cheaper options if it was just for household DIY.

3. EP says:

I never like kits like this. I believe in getting the tool you need now, not tools that you might need later. Plus, the quality of the tools generally won’t compare wth those available on a stand alone basis. But, I am not likely the target market, so maybe it will sell

4. Jerry says:

I’m simply guessing that most of us on here would have little interest in kits like these but for the “guy down the street” that thinks he is a qualified woodworker because he “sharpened a pencil with a knife one time”, this is maybe just what he will go for. He has heard the folks next door having their roof redone and thought the sound of that air stapler was “macho” and he wants to make those same sounds.
    I do see it as a great marketing ploy for CH.
    On a side note, I bought a CH compressor 13 gal, I think, very cheaply many years ago. I used it mostly around the ol’ homestead for close to 10-20 years and it was still working fine when some thief apparently needed it more than I did.

5. Brau says:

I can see my best friend dreaming of doing reno’s and buying a kit like this. Then I can envision visiting him in the hospital after he’s shot a staple through his hand, or struck an electrical line, etc. Simply put, if a person doesn’t already own a prybar, square, hammer, along with other “basics” they’re likely NOT mechanically inclined. I’m simply not in favor of placing power tools in the hands of the inexperienced and giving them a DVD.

Also, as Stephen K said, the tasks they’re targeting are easily done without power/air tools (caulking is a good example. I’d choose a mechanical over dragging an airline up a ladder any day.)

6. BigEdJr says:

When I first saw this post I was thinking what I would use that air caulking gun for, I don’t a gun like that to re-caulk the bathtub… But then I realized that maybe, just maybe if I had a kit like this the baseboards I redid last year would actually be complete because using that air caulking gun at least looks easier to use for 300+ feet of baseboard than the old cheap manual thing I have.

I am not going to run out and buy this just because of the air caulking gun, I already have an air compressor and a couple of nail guns. But had it been available a few years ago when I bought my first combo kit, maybe it would have made sense. I think for the do-it-yourselfer on a budget that might only use it once or twice a year this would make good sense.

I’d even like to see them put kite like this together without the air compressor, kind of like “project packs” or something….I’m just saying.