jump to example.com

Thomas Finn & Co. just released two different sets of cabinet scrapers under their brand E Garlick & Sons — one for convex surfaces like chair legs and one for concave surfaces like coves and hollows. Now here’s a quandary: what do you call a scraper designed to finish convex (bowing out) surfaces? Do you call it a convex scraper because that’s what it works on, or concave because of its shape? (Evidently the manufacturer can’t decide, either. If you look at their description they say one, but their URL says another.)

For consistency, I’ll use the shape of the scraper to name the tool. The scrapers are made from high-grade steel. With the convex set you can scrape hollows of 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″, 5/8″, 7/8″, 1″, 1 1/8″, 1 1/4″ and 1 1/2″ in diameter. With the concave set you can finish round shapes of the same diameters previously listed.

Even though these scrapers are made by a company overseas, Eagle America will sell you either set for $20 before shipping.

Convex Scrapers [Thomas Finn & Co.]
Concave Scrapers [Thomas Finn & Co.]
Convex Scrapers [Eagle America]
Concave Scrapers [Eagle America]

Tagged with:

One Response to Concave And Convex Scrapers

  1. thedude says:

    very cool. got mine a few months ago at highland for only $16.99.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.