Forget calculators, databanks, GPS, and cell phones. What you want in a watch is something useful like a tape measure. Leave it to the folks at Stanley to deliver exactly that… to Japan.

The watch, pictured above as dredged up by the folks at Mashable, is pretty much what you’d expect from a basic digital model, including features like a calendar, daily alarm, an electro-luminescent backlight, and a 1/100 reading stopwatch. But it also houses a short tape measure like the ones you see attached to keychains.

Watch.brando.com (who seems to be one of the earliest sources to post about the watch) offers it for $44.50. They’ve got some additional pictures as well.

Personally, I like my tape measures in my pocket (or occasionally on a keychain) rather than on my watch. And yeah, I know this isn’t particularly useful as anything except a gimmick. It’d make a great ice-breaker at a party, though. If nothing else, it’s more stylish than a fake Rolex. Right?

Stanley Tape Measure Watch [watch.brando.com] [via]

15 Responses to A Watch For Toolmongers

1. Tony Clifton says:

Judging by the picture, it’s not just a tape measure watch, it’s a left-handed tape measure watch!

2. Chris says:

This is a joke, right?

cl

3. Toolaremia says:

Hooray for Lefties! We rule! Literally…

4. DiscoBubba says:

Wait a second, why does it use Inches then? Doesn’t Japan uses the metric system!

5. Dusty says:

@ DiscoBubba, yes they do. And for future reference, almost everyone uses the metric system except for the US

6. Bill says:

No digital read-out or lasers?

7. matt says:

Actually I think its USA and one other country that don’t use metric (I think it’s Kenya).

On another topic, do they have robertson screws in USA yet? If not what kind of drive do deck screws use???

8. techieman33 says:

Because who doesn’t love a watch that’s an inch thick?

9. Brau says:

I just went looking for a 16′ tape with metric, standard, plus a 3″(76mm) body for easy addition … and guess what … Nothing! All I can say seeing this is, “Wow, I’d be happy if Stanley just made a decent usable tape and forgot about this gadgety crap”. Instead they make all this bulky “FatMax” crap and tape bodies with odd lengths like 2 5/8″. ( Just try adding 2 5/8 to 54 11/16 quickly. ) They also seem to like to place the release button overhanging the tape making it hard to accurately read the measure when doing inside measurements – brilliant.

10. Chuck Cage says:

Brau: I don’t think I’ve seen a standard + metric tape in a while! I did some poking around and found a couple on Amazon, but I don’t think I’ve seen one in the local big box. I suppose most people use one or the other on a daily basis, but it might be nice to have one that’s both for some circumstances.

FWIW, I did intend the post as funny. It’s obviously not something anyone would wear for use. Though I wasn’t kidding about wearing one to a party. 🙂

Interesting thoughts, re: tape body size and release button overhang, too.

11. george says:

i think you will find the std + metric tapes sold in the auto repair, etc industry. i have several stanley tapes that have both. just not much need for that in the home industry.

12. Steve says:

I’ve broken far too many watches while working on things to even consider wearing one. That one looks bigger than most. My iPhone is my time keeper.

13. Brau says:

@ Chuck

No mal-intent meant toward you, this site or the fun post. Seriously. I love this site!

I got my old Lufkin at the direction of my first construction employer who told me not to show up on site the next day without a proper contractor’s tape: one with a floating riveted tip, SAE, metric, 16″ center marks, a lock switch that doesn’t block viewing where the tape enters the body (reading accuracy) , and a 3″ body … because he wasn’t paying me by the hour to do complex fraction multiplication.

I eventually found a 16’/5M tape (Tool Tech EZ-Mark), all the proper markings, small enough that it won’t get knocked off my belt every time I turn around, but had to give up on finding one with a 3″ body.

14. Kif says:

It will help you tell the difference between a long time and a short time.

15. Jerry says:

Where’s the button to change the read out from time to distance measured? As was already mentioned, “Where is the laser?”