at the local big box. I didn’t have the cash for a recip, and the double-sided Bear saw seemed to work for the one piece I needed to trim. Since then it’s been damn near indispensable in the shop and on household projects.

As the name suggests, the pull saw cuts on the pull stoke. It makes for excellent control; plus the shape of the blade lets you flush cut even in tight places. The long handle will get the business end where it needs to go and the blade is interchangeable. It’s a simple system I have come to rely on for flush cutting and door trim even though I now have a recip saw in the shop. The pull saw can get in tighter spaces with less noise and destruction than the recip, hands down.

Now on my second blade for the saw, it’s still worth the original $20 investment three years ago.

Bear Pullsaw [Vaughan]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Vaughan's Bear Saw

1. george says:

as a child raised on pacific islands (micronesia) i was introduced to japanese tools including the “pull saws”. i have always used them my whole life. i never could figure out the regular saw most people know.

2. Bill Brasky says:

I bought mine 3 years ago at a Lowe’s in Kansas. The high TPI side of the blade has several broken teeth now. So I was debating on spending $20 on another Vaughn but yesterday I was at my Church….Harbor Freight….and praise be his name….Anyway, it was only $10 and it cuts as good as my new Bear Saw did. Try ol’ HF first to see if you like the saw, because the control is excellent and its a small investment.
    Cheers.

3. Andrew says:

The Japan Woodworker has very high quality and affordable pull saws from Japan. I’ve been using these saws for fifteen years and can’t stand to use a “Western” saw anymore. They are sharp, fast, and easy to master. There are now many cheap imitation pull saws, but they are generally of poor quality compared to even the least expensive saws from Japanese saw makers,

4. Stephen K says:

I just bought a Vaughan Bear saw about a month ago and I have to say, I really love it. I had never tried a Japanese-style saw before but after reading so much about them in various forums here, I really wanted to try it out. I don’t think that I will ever go back to a Western saw, except when cutting down trees.

5. Gary says:

I’ve used both western and japanese style saws. The pull saws work very well. I just prefer the way a western saw feels in use. Like anything else, I guess it’s what you’re used to.

6. Chris says:

I bought one of these about 14 years ago at a Home Base. Remember them? Maybe not. Anyway, to this day the saw remains my #1 handsaw for most any cutting duties involving wood. I’ve found it works well for PVC too.

7. Tim B. says:

Amen to all of that… This type of saw is definitely my favorite go-to saw for any sort of wood cutting. Originally purchased one for easy flush trimming the casing around the doorways in a room I was doing new laminate flooring in, it did the trick so nicely, I have ended up using it for almost any / all by-hand wood cutting.

P.S., It DOES work great on PVC, ABS, and just about any other non-metal material you might want to cut….