Many people have a hitch receiver on their vehicle, but how many actually use them on a regular basis?  Sometimes you see a fourth brake light shoved into one, or they sport a fake propeller or Autobot badge to demonstrate the vehicle owner’s whimsical personality. With the HitchSafe you can put the hitch receiver to better use as a place to securely store valuables or spare keys.

From FJM, the same company that brought us the Combi-Bolt, the HitchSafe fits inside your 2″ hitch receiver and is secured by the pin holes with no tools. A rubber dust cover hides and protects the HitchSafe and under the cover are 4 dials on which you enter one of 10,000 possible combinations to release the safe.

A couple of caveats I discovered while browsing the negative comments on Amazon: Make sure the holes in your receiver aren’t too far back to accommodate the HitchSafe. Also, the HitchSafe doesn’t appear to be watertight, which could be a serious problem if you’re prone to drive through puddles.

A quick scan of Google Products shows most retailers selling the HitchSafe for about $70.

HitchSafe [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

14 Responses to Store Valuables In Your Hitch Receiver

1. Geoff says:

What about truck-nuts?

2. Bill says:

What a truly stupid product. I wouldn’t pay $10 for this, never mind $70. Lock it in your glove box, lock it if possible and put the car alarm on.

And if the stuff is that valuable, then don’t leave it in your car.

3. Chuck says:

Can they make an Autobot dust cover, or maybe Calvin peeing on something?

4. Tim Freeman says:

Benjamin,
    Thank you for covering our exciting product in your blog. A couple comments I would like to make are:

The HitchSafe is water tight but not water PROOF. In other words, if you back your vehicle into a lake and the HitchSafe is submerged, the contents WILL get wet. The HitchSafe is protected with foam seals around the bolts, around the flange between the receiver and HitchSafe and the cover forms a tight seal for the drawer. Puddles and rain are not an issue. If, at all, there is a concern of moisture, I would recommend a zip lock bag as a safe measure but for the hundreds of thousands of this product on the market, moisture is not normally a big issue .

As for the hole placement… 2.5 inches from the end of the receiver to the center of the hole is the industry standard and 80-85% of all OEM receivers follow this standard. There are some rarer cases whereby the receiver is shorter due to a tire or tool box positioned behind the receiver. Our additional foam spacers accommodate that. In very rare scenarios (guessing 1-2% ??). The OEM receiver is about a 1/4″ further back than the standard. Actually, I will clarify that statement… in those rare cases, the hole is still at the 2.5″ standard on the tube, however, the front of the flange rather than having a flat face as do 99% of receivers, has a domed face which pushes the front face a 1/4″ further away from the hole. Unfortunately, this is so rare we have no solution for it except for elongating the holes on the HitchSafe a 1/4″ in those situations.

I would also ad that the best photo depicting the HitchSafe is located at
    http://www.hitchsafe.com/Images/key-vault.jpg because it shows the protective cover as well.

Indeed, the HitchSafe is ideal for storing spare keys and far better than those magnetic things that fall off (and where everyone knows where to look!!). By far, the most common usage we have seen on our product though has been for outdoor activities (from surfing/diving to hunting, biking, etc) where keys are a hassle or can become lost.

5. Paul says:

This seems like a pretty good idea for a few scenarios. For example, if you are mountain biking and you drive somewhere and want to lock your car, but don’t want to carry around to keys (because you might lose them). This would keep people from getting into your car while you were away.

6. @Tim Freeman:

Thank you for clearing these points up. I reread all the information on your site but I didn’t find any reference to water tight. The closest thing I found was “EVA foam washers seal Hitch Pin Holes.” But using a Ziplock bag just to make sure is a good idea — I put my wallet in a ziplock in my pants pocket when I’m fishing to keep it dry too.

I didn’t mean the comment about checking the pin holes to be a knock against the Hitch Safe, I just figured that if somebody was going to buy it they should double check the measurement which you provide on your site. I try to do that with any product I buy.

I have to say I’m impressed by the amount of information you publish on your site, including limited cad drawings of your product. Like your product or not, I think anybody can appreciate that.

@Paul:

The use I thought of right away was to store my keys when I’m out on a lake. Most of the fishing I do is out of a canoe in the middle of nowhere. Even though there’s hardly anyone around, I really don’t like the thought of leaving my keys in my vehicle. Even though the alternative means risking losing my keys in 60 feet of water, and having to hike 20 miles to the nearest place I can get cell phone reception

7. Chris says:

@Paul: That’s one of the reasons I absolutely LOVE the keycode entry feature on Ford vehicles. I drive a Mazda myself, but two of my buddies have Fords, and it’s great to be able to lock the keys in the car when you go for a run, leave the campsite, go out fishing, or whatever.

For vehicles without hitches, I’ve always either had a keychain that I could physically attach to my person in an out-of-the-way place or hidden the keys inside a wheel well somewhere.

Frankly, I don’t know why more manufacturers don’t copy Ford’s keycode entry idea. It works great and it’s quite handy.

cl

8. Jerry says:

The photo provided in the link from Tim Freeman clearly shows this product. Note too that the photo link actually says “key-vault” which tells the main usage for such a device.
    As others have mentioned, this sure beats losing your keys out on the lake, in the woods or wherever you may be enjoying yourself.
    Also, if someone else needs to use your vehicle but you can’t connect to hand them the keys, just give them the combination (which I presume is changable).
    The current price does seem just a little high though – no offense to Tim – just my opinion. Of course, new products never come out inexpensively.

9. Phil says:

This would be handy in some limited situations, such as camping or canoeing. It wouldn’t do me any good, since I have a 2 1/2″ receiver.

10. Joshua says:

I can see that this would have potential for certain instances, such as stashing keys and such. However, I think the biggest problem is that it is an obvious “stash”. As a bit of a delinquent in my youth, this would be an obvious target. If you could make this look like any old lame hitch cover it would be good, instead it makes any valuables inside a target to those with nothing better to do then to vandalize your stuff. Just my thoughts.

11. Shopmonger says:

I would some how attach a cover to it and make it look like any other hitch cover it would not lead them into temptation.

ShopMonger

12. Melvin says:

It does come with a plain looking cover.

13. Bodenski says:

We left a vehicle without a hitch to be picked up by another group that we could not get a key. We attached to the car a standard realtor lock box (that we normally leave on the house) .

14. Toby says:

Wire tie a spare key to the frame somewhere. Easy and free(well the cost of the tie)