The all-metal Combi-Bolt features a 3/8″ diameter solid steel bolt that slides into a strike or bolt receiver, leaving little of the shackle exposed. Because the shackle is protected, they claim it’s more secure than hasp and padlock designs. Plus with four pick-resistant dials, you get 10,000 possible codes — it goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway) that it would take a long time guess the right code.

Made with chrome-plated brass dials and coated die-cast body, the Combi-Bolt was designed to withstand the elements. You can install the lock with only a drill (with the right sized bit) and screwdriver. Also included are one-way security screws, a bolt receiver to flush mount the Combi-Bolt, and a strike plate if you wish to recess the lock.

To change the combination: Dial the current combination, lift the handle up, and slide it back until the handle drops again. Then, simply dial the new combination, lift the handle up, and slide the bolt forward.  A reviewer on Amazon [What’s This?] claims this procedure might be a little too easy, though, since his wife accidentally reset the combination on him.

Despite listed prices of $20 or less, it looks like it’ll take you $30 to get a Combi-Bolt shipped to your door.

Combi-Bolt [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

25 Responses to Combi-Bolt: Part Bike Lock, Part Sliding Bolt

1. metis says:

unless it comes with tamper resistant screws, two to four screws removed will open that in a jiffy.

kight keep the neighbor kids out of the yard, but this isn’t going to help keep much secure.

2. Aaron says:

“Also included are one-way security screws”.

Should do it 🙂

3. Shopmonger says:

Rivets would be the way to go hear, would be nice for a truck bed lock. Or maybe a horse trailer. I could see good uses for this…..

Shopmonger

4. Bill says:

One way screws, rivets, whatever. You would need to drill out the heads of two screws and you beat the lock. How long would that take 15 to 20 seconds?

This is useless.

5. kyle says:

Could always set the thing up and purposely strip the screws, thereby making them hard to remove. (I saw the quote that it has one way screws, but just throwing it out there.)

6. @Bill

What, it would take you 15 to 20 seconds? That’s too long, give me a crowbar or better yet a Fubar and it’ll be off in less than 5 seconds. Yeah the company touts that the shackle is less exposed and all, but that’s not really the point. Read some the other recent threads about locks. Part of it is about keeping people honest. If somebody is determined they will get in. Just maybe opportunistic thief will skip this for some easier target.

For example, recently in the police report of my local paper, some burgers broke into a Dominoes in a mini mall and punched through the walls to get to the businesses on either side.

7. Gil says:

One good wack with an engineer’s hammer, and it’s off.

8. Toolhearty says:

(just to echo previous comments) I can see something like this being good for maybe the gate to the pool area or the shed where the mower’s stored, but not for protecting anything of value.

9. Geoff says:

@Ben: I guess the burgers were angry at the pizzas, huh? ;^)

The idea here is that there’s no physical key to lose, but any lock can be thwarted with brute force. Nice for a space that multiple people share, or where the combo can be changed briefly for someone who needs access for a short time. Maybe a buddy wants to borrow a tool from the shed, so change the code & let them pick it without you needing to be present, then change it back.

Seems like it’s got it’s place in the bag-o-tricks…

10. Dave P says:

@Gil and Bill–

If somebody is packing a drill or engineer’s hammer, they’re going to get in no matter what. Here in Atlanta we’ve got residential B&Es where the perp uses a 18v circular saw to just cut a hole through the side of the house.

Something like this keeps the neighborhood kid from “borrowing” the lawnmower you keep in the shed. I hate the whole doofus-ass cynical attitude that pops up every time there’s an article on locks or security.

11. Dave P says:

Gil and Bill–

12. Dave P says:

wow, awesome double post, self.

13. george says:

i like it. it has its uses just like anything else. it cracks me up when folks get huge locks, etc for their doors when there is a big glass window next to it. no one ever hear of breaking glass? its all just keeping folks honest and making it a bit harder than yer neighbors house.

14. MattC says:

I like it for sheds, gates, and light security items. As echoed before, a determined person will break into any lock. However, this lock is to help deter thievery. It will not stop it.

15. JerryD says:

There’s a saying: locks keep honest people out.

16. Jerry says:

Yep! My DeWalk 18v recip can go through the side of a house – no need to wory about the locks, the barred windows and doors, etc.
    As others said – locks are to help keep the honest people honest.
    I would say this could easily be a really handy lock for many purposes. I would, however ingnore the idea of those “security” and “one-way” screws. Drill through the door/gate/trailer/whatever and put some carriage bolts through.
    For those that complain about how low the security might be, everything is low security except when I sit inside my garage with my .357 loaded and ready – waitin’ on them burglars – or are they “burgers”? I usually only wait for pizza though –

17. Aleksejs says:

As with previous locks topic – the point is to show (insurers/police/whomnot) that you took measures or precautions on guarding your property or denying unauthorized access.
    I see this bolt not so much as a theft deterant – but as a means to keep neighbouring kids from taking your powertools/rat-poison/whatnot from your shed/cabinet and hurting themselves and in an unfortunate event that your neighbour kid does hurt himself and half of neighbourhood with your 36v recip-saw – you would not be liable for negligence.

As a sidenote – almost always average user will choose 19 (or 20) as first digits for 4digit code 😉

18. Shopmonger says:

Bill and Gil-
    Si assume you never lock you car or your house? I can break into a car faster that you can drill those 4 rivets out…. and i guarantee i can break into your house faster than that….

As stated before int his thread and many others locks prevent questionable thieves….aka thieves of opportunity….temptation is the worst enemy.

Again if you don’t lock any of your items up that is fine,

Actually i thought about it last night…i would just put case harded bolts in there…good luck with your drill now….

19. Kris says:

I think they were Hamburglers.

20. Brau says:

I like it. No dangling, banging lock. No need for yet another key. Will keep the nosy folks out (determined thieves will break in no matter what you do), while serving the basic requirement of my insurance company to have a lock in place.

ps. As a side note, my insurance liability states a lock must be in place. I learned from the rep that the quality of the lock does not matter. Even a cheap plastic toy lock is fine. The point is it has to be broken or intentionally circumvented to gain access … which legally proves theft.

21. Flytact says:

This is exactly what I was looking for to keep the kids out of the pub room. Didn’t want to fork out the big bucks for a key less doorknob so I was going to try and bastardize a bike lock.
    I think I’ll give it a try.

22. Troy Truchon says:

I think the only real point to this is to combine the traditional angle bar and combo lock on most gates, and its really no less secure that what it replaces, but its not going to keep out a determined attacker alone. But then again the point of residential security isn’t to be impenetrable, its like any other security its mostly there to deter all but the most dedicated, and to ensure that the dedicated individual makes enough noise that someone will (hopefully hear it.

23. Ed says:

And when we’ve forgotten the combo, or never knew it because the previous owner installed it, just how do we remove those “one way security screws”?

24. Shopmonger says:

ED- Carbide bit and some time and you can remove-destroy them…
    Brau- you bring up a good point about no banging….great for trailers…..Nice catch

ShopMonger

25. Bob Stringer says:

Firstly I would like to say thank you for all of your comments.
    I am the inventor of the combi-bolt, it’s only medium level security to prevent opportunist theft and to secure pool rooms, sheds, gates, chicken coups you name it.
    The combi-bolt product is not just about stopping thieves, it is also a safety product, you can lock up chemicals, pools, tools etc anything or anywhere that would be dangerous for children. It is used widely in schools in the UK on play areas, to stop young children getting out and undesirable people getting in.