It’s like a sickness; I can’t resist posting multi-tools. I know none of the tools usually hold a candle to a stand-alone version, but a well designed multi-tool can save your butt in a situation where you don’t have access to your toolbox. Plus it’s always neat to see the new and unique ways companies pack so many tools into a small package.

At first I wasn’t sure if the 23 in the kelvin.23 is supposed to refer to the number of functions, if it is the 23rd try at a tool, or if it references some other obscure event on the Kelvin scale. Failing to find the information on the website, I watched the YouTube video. At the end of the video, Kevin explains why it’s called the kelvin.23

Here’s the 23 features he shows:

• Sixteen bits
  • Snap action driver
  • Driver locking at 90 degrees.
  • Magnets
  • LED Flashlight
  • Spirit level
  • 6′ tape measure
  • Hammer

The sixteen bits are broken into four allen keys, four flat heads, four square heads, and four star heads. Four square heads? Four flat heads? I don’t think I’ve ever had a set with four different “flat” or “square” heads. I wonder how many are duplicates. Also suspiciously missing are any Phillips bits. Maybe some of the “star” heads are actually Phillips.

About the only place you can purchase the kelvin.23 in the States right now is Amazon. There you can buy it for $36 shipped.

kelvin.23 [Corporate Site]
kelvin.23* [Youtube]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

*It’s interesting to note that kelvintools.com, the url in the video, doesn’t work.

Tagged with:

14 Responses to The “kelvin.23” Multi-Tool

1. gillsans says:

Maybe they’re trying to avoid Phillips’ high licensing fees…

2. ToolGuyd says:

I’m not a fan of all that plastic. To be honest, this looks more like a promotional giveaway item than a $30 multi-tool. I’m also not a fan of the way Kevin treats each screwdriver bit as a separate feature/function.

It still takes a lot of creativity to pull something like this off. Maybe the Kelvin 23 2.0 will woo me.

3. Kris says:

I just have to say it…”Where’s the laser?”

4. roger rainey says:

Hammer, really? really?

5. rob says:

well the lack of phillips which is likely the star drive bits
    but 4 square bits is sweet

6. Kevin says:

Benjamin…from your post, I can’t tell if you had a chance to try one, or if you just saw it on the net. If not, shoot me your address and I’ll send one your way this week to see what you think. Kevin-inventor of k.23.

7. Steve says:

A level and a hammer on the same tool seems pretty scary.

8. Jerry says:

That level keeps your hammer swings nice and straight – No? Are you sure.
    Actually, I’ll stick with my Leathermanand the optional bit pack that comes in it’s own case. Sure, I have to carry 2 cases on my belt but it sure has saved me a lot of miles of walking back to the truck or shop. Plus, the Leatherman guarantee is pretty awesome. I managed to damage one (okay, okay – I broke the knife blade by using it as a pry bar) Anyway, I emailed and asked about replaceing the blade. They said to send it in. I did. Very quickly, I got a shiny new tool that was a model above the one I had. All for the couple dollars postage. And, I think I was past warranty.

9. Dave P says:

Damn, tho, that’s pretty cool of Kevin to offer one of his tools for review. He must be pretty confident cause I know this is a tough crowd.

10. Benjamen Johnson says:

@Kevin: (and anybody else that’s interested)

I have not had a chance to try one, my post is based purely on information for the sites linked in the articles.

I don’t accept unsolicited tools, nor do I solicit retailers and manufacturers for free tools or “loaners.” You will never see a “hands-on” review of a tool from me that I didn’t purchase with my own hard earned money. Note that this is not Toolmonger’s policy, but my own personal policy.

Thank you for your offer, but no.

11. JerryD says:

Benjamen –

That’s essentially the same policy Consumer Reports follows: buy on the open market what you choose to test. No potential bias or conflict of interest.

12. ambush says:

@Jerry, I doubt you were past Leathermans warranty, I think its 25 years on their multitools.

13. Frostinator says:

I bought a Kelvin 23! It was like at first site.

It’s well designed, asthetiaclly pleasing, has a novel flick-out screwdriver arm for wow factor and a compact hammer and functional flashlight.

I bought it even though I didn’t really need it; I have many screwdrivers, hammers, tape measures and flashlights, already. Why, because it is convenient to have several tools in one handy product.

Nice job Keven. Keep up the good work. When is your next useful multi tool coming out? I still have some room in my kitchen drawer.

14. Kevin says:

Thanks for the feedback. Just so you know, I am not trying to compete against Leatherman (it us pure genius), or even compete with full scale tools. kelvin.23 is for the everyday home stuff…a loose frying pan handle, Ikea furniture and such.

This is my first design and I’ve got plans for future models that will include an innovative wrench head, a new style of ratchet mechanism, and I am working on a new method of measuring in order to get rid of the bulky tape. Just like Tim Leatherman…step by step.