If you work in the datacomm installation business, then you know Paladin. Sean, for example, is very proud of the set of Paladin CAT5 crimpers he owns. After going through a couple of sets, he finally bought a “good” set — by Paladin. But did you know Paladin makes multitools, too?

They do, and they call them PowerPlay. Specifically, they make three models, one designed for datacomm specialists, one for telcomm people, and one for electrical work.

For the datacomm folk, they offer the PT-510 (pictured). Wrapped up in a classic multitool form factor you’ll find a ton of tools helpful for running low-voltage communications wiring — a drywall punch and rasp, needle-nose and gripping pliers, wire strippers, a punchdown tool, a ruler, and wire cutters, plus all the stuff you’d expect like screwdrivers and a serrated knife. You even get a bottle opener for post-installation Millertime. (Just please don’t leave the bottle in my wall, you lazy bastard.)

The other models trade out various tools for specific tasks. For example, the PT-540 adds a nut driver (electrical) and the PT-525 gives you two punchdown tools instead of one (telcomm).

Street pricing runs around $45 for all three, which doesn’t seem too far out compared to what you’d pay for a Leatherman or other brand-name tool.

The PowerPlay [Paladin]
Street Pricing
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Paladin’s PowerPlay

1. ToolGuyd says:

Yep, it’s a Sog.

2. Jerry says:

“Have Gun Will Travel – Wire Paladin, San Francisco”
    Anyone else as old as me?

3. Geoff K. says:

For punch downs, I’ll stick with my Harris D814 impact punchdown tool with the spare dual bit in the handle. Worth the money, depending on the amount of punch downs required. Every pro has one

For the data work I do, I use the cut/no-cut 110 & 66 blades. This is another example of having the right tool for the job making all the difference.

4. Rob says:

What street pricing were you referring to? I don’t see anything under ~$80.

5. Chris W says:

$45 for all three would be a great deal;)

I like the Harris tool too. It has a strong spring and you can get a double sided hole starter bit (metal+ wood) for it which is a lot stronger than most automatic center punches.

I like finding things left behind by previous craftsmen. It’s like a time capsule. While remodeling my bathroom, I removed a medicine cabinet and found some graffitti which mocking the writer’s co-worker. it gave me a chuckle.

6. Tacotruck says:

This is an almost identical rip off of the Sog Powerlock – even the name is the same. Take a look: http://sogknives.com/store/powerlocks.html

7. Steve F says:

The PowerPlay in made in partnership with SOG. (See Link)

8. Brice says:

I own the 525, it travels everywhere on my belt.
    Things I like:
    1. The monster gripping power. That SOG multiplier linkage means that if you can grip it, it’s not going anywhere.
    2. Blade is pretty good and stays sharp.
    3. File is a life saver, use it all the time.

Things I don’t like:
    1. That monster grip comes at a price of small jaw opening. Lots of times the nut is just to large to get a good grip on it and still put good leverage on the handle.
    2. Screwdrivers are cheezy.
    3. I discovered that I rarely use the punch down tools. I would have been better off getting the standard SOG pliers.

9. fred says:

@Jerry

— ” a knight without armor in a savage land”?

10. Tim B. says:

I own the PT-525 – definitely a well-made multi-tool. Also definitely agree with Brice on all counts. Very much love it – favorite multi-tool I’ve owned (and I’ve owned / destroyed a good number)

One of the issues I have had with the screwdriver-type functions is that when you are applying an above-average amount of force, the blade/tool guards sometimes snap from place (along with the flexing at the plier joint, which plagues MANY multi-tools). But the -525 also comes with a hex drive quickchange for the 1/4″ socket adapter.. WIth this you can lock it at 90deg, and use a standard Q/C screwdriver bit with very solid leverage.

On a final note Paladin (and SOG) are both more than willing to assist if you need spare parts, and I have had nothing but great experiences with their customer support departments. A very positive selling point! =)