The Scarecrow CRO101 Motion-Activated Sprinkler from Contech Electronics is one of the scariest and most hilarious things I’ve seen lately. A bestseller on Amazon with hundreds of positive reviews, the Scarecrow is intended for “humane animal deterrence” and can spray a moving object in a 1,000 square foot area — though many of those glowing reviews mention that users should beware that the Scarecrow will shoot at anything that moves, so don’t forget to turn it off from behind before enjoying that mint julip out back. The Scarecrow’s made of a plastic shaft with a metal sprinkler head and motion detector — all you need to buy is a 9v battery and a poncho.

The Scarecrow is supposed to be quite effective at deterring cat-and-dog land mines, foraging raccoons and possums, and predatory birds. But the most excellent part of this sprinkler system is the creative plethora of user photos [What’s This?] uploaded at Amazon, in which the Scarecrow sprays an unsuspecting deer, a man in a Godzilla costume, the Grim Reaper, a trespassing little girl, Chuck Norris, a pair of grizzly bears, an Imperial Walker (AT-AT), a giant cheese wedge, and Pope Benedict VI, among others. There’s even a terrific shot of Scarecrow posing with his buddies in the cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000, a joke I was going to make except I got beat to it.

Right now the sprinkler’s retailing on Amazon for about $45. It might be worth it just to see the teenagers who solicit my home every day for a new phone service get completely drenched and have to bicycle home in their dripping short-sleeved business shirts.

Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Caddyshack [IMDB]

9 Responses to Contech’s Scary Motion-Activated Sprinkler

1. tim says:

I have one of these and it works very well. We got it to ward off a few skunks and keep it to ward off unwanted people.

2. Colby says:

I owned two of these. I used them to keep cats off my new car. Unfortunately, the faucet that fed them was within range. I wet my pants a lot that year.

3. Jerry says:

Had one of these about 3 years ago – seems it was only $25 or so though. Exact same one.
    I set it up for discouraging a “down the street” neighbor that brought her dog to my lawn edge flower bed to make a deposit. The first time she and the dog got soaked it was really funny. The second time, I wondered about her intelligence. Fortunately, there was no third time. I passed it along to a friend who had a problem with cats digging in his garden. I was rewarded regularly with a lot of fresh veggies! Worth every penny.

4. Rick says:

Good times. This sounds like an awesome way to keep random people from walking through my lawn. It’ll serve them right.

5. Davo says:

Do the Mormons have their own phone service, these days?

6. Carrie says:

I got one of these last year when a neighborhood cat was using my garden as a litterbox. It is AWESOME. Works on deer, too…. even if the pest in question doesn’t mind water, the noise is scary too. Also fun is when I forget it’s on and walk out in front of it. 🙂

7. Fabian says:

I have this unit and I only have three issues with it:

1. when putting it together the plastic components you twist together are very cheap and brittle. For the price, about $50, they could have been made of metal.

2. Not a ding on the product itself, but don’t go cheap on the hose since it will be feeding water and stay under pressure for months. A cheap hose will rupture and you’ll come home to a $300 water bill.

3. The 9 volt battery does not last anything at all. I wish there was a simple fuse-reset power cord so you could connect this to an outdoor outlet. I spent more on batteries than I care to admit.

3 cents,
    F.

8. Gale says:

If you don’t like spending money on batteries for these units, there are a couple ways to help cut the costs. One of course is to use rechargeable batteries. the other way is to get an adapter for the 9 volt battery that will hook to the battery compartment and allows you to use 110 volt house current. Should be able to get an adapter at Radio Shack, among other retail stores. Possibly even Walmart? Oh, another way to go is to get a small solar set up to charge your rechargeable battery during the day too!So there are a few options to help save on the cost of batteries over the long run! May cost a little more getting set up, but you’ll quickly save the cost back not having to buy a lot of batteries!

9. Howard Lindley says: