As usual for this time of year, the big boxes are offering deals on basic- and classic-model ceiling fans. Currently Lowe’s is selling the Harbor Breeze 52″ classic fan (pictured above) for $45; Home Depot has apartment-style Littleton fans for around $20(!), and even Amazon’s got a couple of deals on Emerson and Westinghouse fans.

In my experience, ceiling fans need not be expensive or fancy to do the job. Keeping the air moving and the a/c bill down in the summer is my prime concern, and $40 is the right price for the savings in both energy and cash.

Hampton Bay 52″ Farmington Ceiling Fan [Home Depot]
Harbor Breeze 52″ Classic Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan [Lowe’s]
Littleton White 42″ Ceiling Fan With Light Kit [Home Depot]
Emerson 52″ Ceiling Fan Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Dealmonger: Big Box Cheap Ceiling Fans FTW!

1. Shalin says:

Certainly seems like a great deal. I got a couple Harbor Breeze 36″ fans for a couple of my smaller bedrooms – the seems to be doing well after ~1yr.

Only the other hand…ceiling fans just seem like a bit of an eyesore – I’ve been meaning to take down the one from my TV room. I wonder what technology will come along to replace them and freshen up “ceiling decor/treatments”…

–Shalin

2. Dr Bob says:

I’ve had problems with the non-name brand el cheapo fans with balancing/vibration issues that you just can’t fix and producing electrical noise. One of them died after two years of use and we replaced that one with a Hunter – the Hunter had no balance or noise issues and has been working for 10 years now.

I have no experience with the brands mentioned though.

3. Jerry says:

I have a house full of big-box ceiling fans. All continue to work well after about 4 years. Hard to say if and when they will die. I think one secret to long life of these things is to get up there and dust the motor vents once or twice a year.

I also need to comment on the use of “FTW.” I have seen this a lot in recent weeks. I had to do a search to get to the bottom of it. I am an old guy and “FTW” certainly meant something different from “for the win” when I was younger.

Now the older readers can smile at this and the younger ones can say “WTF is he talking about.”

4. joel says:

I’ve always been disappointed in the design of big-box ceiling fans but bought them anyway because there weren’t any reasonably-priced alternatives. Finally last year I bought a Cirrus Hugger from Modern Fan Company (http://www.modernfan.com/cirrusHugger.html) and I’m glad I spent the $350 or so on a fan I actually like to look at every day.

There really should be an Ikea-equivalent of ceiling fans for those of us that want clean, modernist design for a reasonable price.

5. Roger Begin says:

I just finished a room over the garge and purchased two fans from Lowes the Harbor Breeze 52″ all black version. I think I paid a little less then $45.
    I am very satisfied so far (installed two months ago) no wobble very quiet and they look great! And very easy to install.

6. aw says:

Never had a big-box brand fan that did not vibrate, wobble, or have sagging blades within 4 or 5 years. Replaced some of them with Hunters, and have been fine for several years since. Of course, if its a pantry or bathroom or something, it may not even matter. I tend to run my living room and bedroom fans nearly 24/7 during the summer.

7. Dr Bob says:

I had to look up what FTW means – I didn’t know either the current or the old meaning (blush). 😉