The Slime 70003 Flat Tire Repair System (that’s the actual company name) is now on sale at Amazon for 71% off retail, at just $14.27. It seemed like a good deal until I noticed the reviews [What’s This?]. People remarked that the “slime” canister exploded everywhere, replaceable parts are nowhere to be found, and since the manufacturer has discontinued the product, it’s a one-shot deal with no way to get a slime refill. The worst part: Many have noted that, while this can save your tire once in an emergency, it’s also likely to ruin the tire if any residual slime stays in it, so be prepared to have it cleaned afterward, too.

Thanks to There, I Fixed It for the Tire Surgery photo!

The best deal may be that the air compressor portion seems to work fine. But is it worth $15 to score a mini air compressor and a slime kit that may go right into the trash? What think you Toolmongers of these emergency tire-repair kits?

Street Pricing [Google Products]
Slime 70003 Flat Tire Repair System Via Amazon [What’s This?]

16 Responses to The Worst Tire Repair System Ever?

1. Blind says:

I’ve got an old slime kit that had a bottle of slime and a compressor. The compressor is a little champ and seems to work fine, albeit possibly slowly and loudly. The slime I never expect to use nor want to (I hear they charge extra to scrape that shit off of the rims), but it stays in the truck incase I end up needing it.

Probably better compressors out there for the price, but meh. Just dont use the slime.

2. Jeff says:

This stuff is horrible, actually any fix-a-flat type liquid is horrible. In most cases it can void your road hazard warranty, destroy tpms sensors, and cause a ton of extra work for your tire installer.

I would recommend to any one considering using any of these types of products to just use your spare, check its pressure once a month with the rest of your tires and set them to factory recommended specs found in your door jam. If you dont have a spare buy one, get run flats, or get AAA. 80% of the tires on the road are under inflated.

These systems also dont work if you have a catastrophic tire failure.

3. MattC says:

Actaully, if you just want an portable air compressor, go get this:

At about $25 dollars, you get a decent quality compressor that is smooth, does not jump or buck around, comes in a bag and has a long air hose and has an accurate pressure gauge.

4. Mitch says:

I don’t use Slime in my car tires but I use it all the time for my lawn tractor/lawn trailer/lawn equipment tires. I’ve found it great for that purpose. You guys think using it on your lawn tractor tires is bad?

5. ambush27 says:

I second what Jeff said, but I would like to add that catastrophic tire failures are often caused by severe underinflation, possible from a small leak.

6. karst says:

I use slime in my 4 wheeler tires and my wheel barrows. Works great on the 4 wheeler tires because they only hold 4psi.

7. cheerIO says:

My car has no spare. Not even as an option. You are supposed to use the factory slime and compressor if you ever get a flat. I immediately ditched the slime but kept the compressor. Got myself a nice and light scissor jack, a Gorilla lug wrench, and a Plug gun from Napa. Has come in handy twice and no need to remove and clean the tire when you get back to civilization.

8. Paul says:

I’ve used both Slime and Fix-a Flat in lawn equipment and on road tires. The old formula was supposed to be bad for the tire and would void the road hazard warranty at many tire dealers but I understand that they have been reformulated in recent years. Part of the problem in the past was the propellent in the aerosol products were flammable and if the technician was smoking while dismounting the tire it created an explosion hazard.

9. aaron says:

i got the slime pack as a gift – i use the compressor, but like Blind, keep the goo in the trunk “just in case” but probably will never use it.

thanks MattC for the link and good mini review. i’ll look into that.

10. Jim says:

I have a Slime-like compound in my Bobcat tires. I got it at the Bobcat dealer as part of the installation of new OEM tires.

If my memory is correct, it was not an aerosol. They removed the valve stem and inserted a tube into the tire and squeezed it in, then rolled the tire to distribute it before pressurizing the tire.

As a direct result of seeing this, my father put it in the farm tractor tires. But, because of the size of the tires, it took quite a bit.

Jim

11. Shopmonger says:

I love slim, for many uses, i find it great on tractor tires and for four wheelers. Also sometimes when you have an old car and bent up rims it can stop slow leaks.

One of the best ways for wheelbarrows is to find your local RIM injection company and have them shoot your tires with urethane foam, never flat and hold hundreds of pounds with little or no deflection or distortion.

Slime is great…for its proper uses, also works awesome on bike tires (bicycle) for off road applications.

ShopMonger

12. Jeff says:

@ paul

They have completely redone the formula, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t effect the tires. When doing a proper plug and patch using the current RMA and TIA standards it is almost impossible to get the fix-a-flat off of the inner liner to buff the liner and then do the repair.

Also in my experience no one uses the proper amount, I have pulled tires off that look as if there are 2-5 cans worth inside of them, people will just keep adding it when ever their tire goes a little flat.

And if you get that slime or fix-a-flat in the small pressure reading orifice of a tpms sensor you may have to replace it, as it may not broadcast the correct pressure.

In normal automotive use, these products should only be used in emergencies, give a can of it to your wife, girlfriend, and/or daughter. That way they wont be on the side of the road in danger.

13. Robert says:

My wife’s Camaro can w no spare.

Just a prepackaged slime and compressor gizmo.

14. Robert says:

..came with no spare….

I wish I could type.

15. Dr Bob says:

I’ve used Slime for some low pressure lawn and garden tires, largely because it is such a PITA to remove tires from the small rims, not having the proper tools. My tire guy who has the proper tools seems to have just as much trouble getting these tires off as I do and getting the bead to set back on the rim can be a challenge.

For anything that goes on the road, no Slime, no Fix-a-Flat, use the spare then get the tire removed from the rim and properly patched from within.

16. dfmccarthy says:

I remember when Slime first came out when I was a kid. The cockleburrs that were everywhere during the Summer in Florida would cause slow leaks in bicycle tires. The thorns would just barely poke through the inner tube wall. Unscrewing the Schrader valve and squirting a tube of Slime into the inner tube would permanently fix all thorns past and future.

It was good for what it was originally made for. Then somebody got the bright idea to put liquid rubber and butane in a can and sell it as the solution to fix all flat tires. Every tool has limits on where it should be used. And “Slime” wasn’t the only company selling liquid flat fixer.