I love this sandpaper chest by reader David Rockdan and I’ll tell you why. Because David understands how storage is supposed to work. He had a need and he filled the need — it’s just that simple.

This eleven-drawer chest is both easily accessible and unfinished. Why is that, you ask? Because he damn well felt like it. It has eleven drawers because ten is too sissy and a dozen is just bragging. There is no trim because David correctly determined that his chest will see service in the shop, not the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In short, it’s a box with paper in it; no need to muddy the waters.

Joking aside, great job, David – it’s simple, cheap, clean, and it holds a ton of paper. And I love that you used ply.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

7 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: Chest-O-Sand

1. IronHerder says:

I made a similar chest of drawers, but not nearly as elegant or well done. I used plastic parts drawers discarded by a local big box store (worked out well); I cut channels in the side pieces for the drawer bottoms (which were wider than the drawers) using 3 identical blades ganged together in my circular saw (worked out well, much better than 3 separate cuts); and used particle boards for the cabinet because of its inherent straightness (worked out well until I let it get wet). To keep the drawers from pulling out and spilling my screws and bolts, I cut three quarter-length channels (from the middle to the back) parallel to the full-length channels, and inserted thin (flexible) wooden dowels through the drawers and into the blind channels (this functioned extremely well). As with my tool boxes, I quickly filled the drawers to capacity with iron this and iron that, and soon I couldn’t lift it, even though I wanted it to be portable.

2. Jim says:

Another good point about David’s chest is the simplicity of the design. The drawer bottoms like like masonite and appear to act as runners in the kerfs. I’ve seen this design before and it’s perfect for small drawers not holding much weight. No need for having to put dividers in to support the drawers nor are separate runners needed. The drawer design simplifies construction, reduces materials, and maximizes divided storage for a given volume. As the Guinness commercials used to say, “Brilliant!”
    Plus the half moon cutouts is a good solution instead of handles. Other options could have been a simple hole to act as a finger pull or making the drawer bottoms even bigger so they stick out the front, but the half moon is the better solution. There’s a place for Gerstner and your sanding station isn’t it.

3. Jake says:

Somebody has to be the first to say it:

This one goes to eleven.

4. AggieMike says:

something else useful on these sandpaper racks is to mount an old hacksaw blade to the top to use it for tearing sheets to fit on jitterbug 1/4 sheet sanders

5. Geoff K. says:

I’d add one more item to this design. I’ve found that my sandpaper sheets tend to curl in humid weather, so I would include a piece of ply the size of the sheets for each drawer, and keep the sheets stored beneath these to keep them nice & flat.

What I do now is keep my sandpaper in cardboard sleeves and keep those beneath the clamshell Makita cordless drill case on a shelf. The case keeps the sandpaper flat.

I like David’s solution WAY better than mine…

6. TL says:

Very functional piece, I have to disagree with Jim about the half moon cuts. In any woodshop without a dust collection system, drawers with openings in them will collect a fair amount of sawdust. A solid front keeps out the dust.

7. connie says:

that is so awsome what a great way to store sandpaper. I think I’ll try to make one!!!…