With “innovations” coming from every direction every time you talk to a tool company, smaller things like a new storage system that stacks and locks together in one step seem like they may be small taters — and in the grand scheme of things, perhaps it is. However this didn’t stop Bosch from designing their new storage system.

This new system unveiled at the Bosch event received many looks and much attention. It still doesn’t have a release date or pricing info, but it’s clear to us that the guys in blue and red are serious about storage. Each container can be grabbed from the front, top, and either side by a handle. Each box also features a lock system that clicks into place once stacked on another box.

We also did the first thing that anyone else would do upon seeing these arrive at the jobsite — we used them as a stepstool. I stood on them and jumped and down, and they held my weight fine and didn’t creak, moan, or crack. It seems Bosch built them to be functional and survive a day at the office.

The new containers will come with or without combo kits and can be purchased separately if desired. More to come as events unfold, but the new storage system did look like it’d stand up to some serious punishment.

Look for the press release here soon [Bosch]

16 Responses to Preview: New Bosch Storage System

1. shopmonger says:

This looks an awful lot loike the systauiner system from festool

2. Will says:

@shopmonger Exactly, and about time the other guys picked up on the concept that if you’re going to include a case (that the user is paying for), make it work in a system with your other cases. I despise the random shapes of most hard case and end up throwing them out. Instead, I use a horizontal filing cabinet that I got for free, with some dividers that I added.

It looks from the picture that they are just stackable, and do not operate like drawers like the systainer – is that correct?

Well, at least with standard dimensions a person could easily build a drawer system for the cases like the systainer setup. Maybe the other big names will follow suit and use a similar, compatible system…

3. dreamcatcher says:

Thank you Bosch.
    I was really getting sick of those bags that the tool companies were trying to shove down our throats. While I do know some guys prefer bags to cases, I like cases for their organizational stacking and particular compartmenting for accessories. To each his own.
    What I didn’t like about cases, as mentioned, is the random and often unstackable dimensioning. Any tool lover who has tried to create his own tool shelving system knows the frustration that can cause.
    Yes, these do look a lot like Systainer cases, I even wonder if they intermingle or may be at least the same size. It’s not like Festool developed the Systainer themselves anyway. Could we be looking at a cross brand case standard? I sure wouldn’t mind.
    Keep on blowin’ my mind Bosch (love that new miter saw too).
    DC

4. ttamnoswad says:

Europeans are funny. Go to 2:40 of the video.

Assume they will also come in various sizes too like this one.

Other wise I am very interested in a storage system thats better/cheaper than the festool systainer.

5. Neil Bruce says:

We’ve done a video presentation and demo of the new L-Boxxes at the following link for anyone who hasn’t seen them yet:

6. PutnamEco says:

Are these not re-branded Sortimo L-Boxx cases? (http://www.sortimo.co.uk/L-BOXX)
    Check out their whole truck systems if your into uber organization.

Re: Festool Systainers = Tanos cases, Handy in case you want them in something other than white with green, Still just as pricey though.
    I’m not entirely sure, but they may also have the same parent company as Festool/Protool

I think storage systems are a great idea, and look forward to a day when I can store all my tools together easily.
    Hopefully with enough interest in storage systems, the prices may come down.

7. dreamcatcher says:

Thanks, PunamEco, I was trying to remember who that company was that developed the Systainer style cases.

8. fred says:

I might be persuaded to become a fan of this type of storage container – particularly if it allows tool transportation and storage in a space-efficient and flexible manner. The seem to be better than, what’s become the trend over the past several years, of supplying tools in blow-molded cases with what seems like lots of wasted space. Old fiberboard toolboxes – with all their limitations were better than these. Nylon bags – are the alternative – offer flexibility, light weight – but no protection and don’t stack.

Customized solutions are probably the best solution – as far as I’m concerned.
    When I started work in the’60’s Plumber’s boxes were big – reinforced oak or hardwood chests that were lifted up to the work elevation by the Ironworkers. Tools contained therein had nary a piece of plastic on them – so rough and tumble wasn’t an issue. Over the years we migrated to Knaack boxes (first introduced to jobsites in the ‘60’s). We still use the Knaack boxes and some of their cousins that now sport names like Greenlee and Ridgid – but we’ve compartmentalized ours with plywood dividers, lift out trays and foam insulation to protect some of the contents – that are no longer just pipe wrenches, reamers, and die stocks. We like the compartments – because it’s easy to spot contents and put things back at the end of a day. We still lift them out onto the work elevation – but often secure them down too.

Other rolling toolboxes for us take the form of E350’s and Step Vans outfitted to carry tools and parts. Built in bins accommodate those cheap blow-molded cases, nylon bags etc. all compartmentalized and accessible.

9. Phil says:

Since the majority of my power tools are DeWalt, most of them in the past have come in stackable plastic (and earlier, metal) boxes, I have gotten used to stacking and keeping them in large upright cabinets, along with other cased and uncased tools. Lately, though, I’ve been stuck with tools that come in nylon bags. This simply won’t work in my situation. The guilty parties have been Bosch and Dewalt lately, with tools in small bags or nylon totes. I would not mind a couple of these systainer-like cases to corral some of my Bosch tools in uniform cases I can store and organize.

10. dreamcatcher says:

Nylon bags are pseudo-organization and just one step above simply tossing loose tools into the bed of a pick-up truck.

Blow-moulded cases protect tools but space for the cord and accessories are often overlooked.

Metal cases allow space for accessories but also allows those accessories to rattle around against the tool and themselves. They are also noisy in my van and eventually get dented and rusty.

The L-boxx has swappable/replaceable plastic inserts and (due to their non-custom size) generally have ample space for accessories. They fit Sortimo vehicle racks and Sortimo cases offered by different tool manufacturers {Bosch, Festool/Protool, Mafell, maybe a few others}.

11. jeff_williams says:

The difference between these and the Sortimo L-Boxx ones, besides color, is that there is an additional handle to carry the cases in a vertical orientation.

12. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    jeff_williams Says:
    The difference between these and the Sortimo L-Boxx
    —-
    Looks like a worthy addition, maybe better than the Systainers.

13. ttamnoswad says:

I wonder if this new storage system will inspire other companies to wide release their own rebranded systainers as they already do overseas.

I am really excited about this L-Boxx though. but the cart accesoriy looks way too clunky as seen here.

And they better make a vac that these can store on top of too.

14. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    ttamnoswad Says:
    Doesn’t the new Makita tracksaw (SP6000K) come with/in a Systainer?
    (http://makitausa.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/AccessoryDetails.aspx?ID=34609)

15. PutnamEco says:

Stus shed just blogged about all the different companies that use Systainers, along with some photos of a doublewide Systainer.