Skil continues its strong foray into flooring tools, recently releasing a 4-3/8″ hand-held wet tile saw. Before you scoff, check out the specs: an 11A motor, 14,000 no-load RPM, and an included 10′ water hose make this sound like a great entry-level saw — especially for someone looking for an inexpensive single-project tool.

Veterans might notice that its external brushes make for easy replacement, something you’ll consider if you use this saw much. But what everyone’s likely to notice is the price: Streeting for around $90 — including a single 4-3/8″ diamond blade — this makes the idea of DIY tile sound pretty appealing.

4-3/8″ Hand-Held Wet Tile Saw (3510) [Skil]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Skil’s 4-3/8″ Hand-Held Wet Tile Saw

1. Old Coot says:

I don’t get it. Where’s the water coming from (yes, I see the tubing, but what’s it connect to) and more importantly, where’s the water going? If you go to Skil’s link and look at photo #3, the waste water is getting everything wet including the flooring below that needs the tile.

HF has a 7″ wet tile saw (#40315) that costs about $80.00 with a diamond blade; probably not something a pro would use, but would a pro use the Skil hand-held version for anything except perhaps the occasional need to remove a section of tile that’s already been set…say to install an electrical outlet in a tile floor without damaging the surrounding area?

2. Dhorvath says:

I picked up this same saw on clearance for around $40 at Home Depot a few years back. It was a house branded model but it appears to be the same exact saw. It has a standard garden hose hook-up on the other end for the water supply. It rocks! Unlike a standard, pan style wet saw, this one allows you to make plunge cuts in the middle of a tile. You can also cut paving brick with it for nice clean edges. I’ve loaned it out a few times to friends who have all loved working with it. Five stars!!!

3. Old Coot says:

Dhorvath: Interesting and @ $40 I’d think about it just for that plunge cutting ability. But how do you handle the waste water; encircle the beast with towels or have a wet-vac standing by?

4. TominDC says:

I have a QEP Professional – light, portable, no spilling, big blade. It is easy to control the angle of the cut to conform to unplumb walls (which is most in my bathrooms). Of course, it costs about $50 more than this little guy.

Plunge cutting tile is possible on most tile saws. You just put the tile over the blade and let it bite through to the desired length; but why would you want to? That is why God made Dremels.

5. bob the tile guy says:

As a tile contractor i can honestly say, the first time I spotted a saw like this i snapped it up. the first time i used it i regretted it. save your money! if your doing a big job invest in one of the 10″ saws that offers plunge cutting. if your doing a little tile job, the continuous dry tile blade that came with my roto-zip has never failed me. in fact without a doubt my roto-zip sees almost tile as my wet saws. just because a tool looks like it solves a problem doesn’t mean it will.
    PS to OLD COOT yes it sprays everywhere! the words big sloppy mess only start to get the idea accross

6. Kris B. says:

I bought a real big felker tilemaster off of craigslist, got it for less than a couple hundred, and when I finish my 5 bathrooms, I’ll resell on craigslist for a couple hundred. SSSOOOOOO much better than a little crappy harbour freight one. 10 minutes with that POS harbour freight was enough for me.

7. Richard Stacy says:

I need to cut 200′ of 1 1/2″ of preset concrete pavers outside, in a clean straight line. Water mess is not an issue as it is outside. Ideas?