Reader Jmaz Photo posted this completely sweet, vintage electric carving knife. What we find funny is that this rig, which is is obviously older than I am, looks reasonably new as far as its design. They just haven’t changed that much in that last few decades. This one which was “preserved” in the family garage the and the knife itself still looks new.

The slogan “The knife with the hole in the handle” is pretty damn funny-looking, but who knows — it might have stuck since Hamilton Beach is still around and still selling models that look just like this. We love this type of thing and enjoyed seeing Jmas post it to the photo pool.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

9 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: Vintage Meat Cutter

1. fred says:

Maybe the hole in th handle was to distinguish it from its GE competitor. I remember watching the GE-sponsored College Bowl show on TV – and seeing what I recall as incessant commercilals for electric knives. My Dad bought one (or maybe got one with S&H Green Stamps)- and I think he concluded it was good for slicing fresh bread – but went back to his carbon steel Sabatier for cutting the turkey.

2. Mike Saz says:

My dad got one of those for carving the Thanksgiving turkey somewhere in the early-to-mid 60’s. Used it every Thanksgiving until I inherited it, and I used it every year to the present, where it still works great. Granted, one or two uses a year is pretty light duty, but still… What else do I have that has lasted that long? Nothing. That’s what.

3. These things rock for curving foam and other similar materials. I picked up one just like this at Goodwil a few years back. Don’t remember the whole “knife with a hole in the handle” thing though. Freakin hilarious!!!

4. Brau says:

I have one. A deluxe model in lovely ’70s two-tone “Olive Green”, complete with a convenient wall mount station. Not sure what year it is, but it still works great.

5. Bill says:

These things are fantastic for cutting foam for seat cushions and whatnot.

6. kyle says:

My cousin used to cut the turkey every year with one of these, needless to say it was always done poorly. There were never slices it was always chunks, he might as well have pulled it apart with his hands. Now every time i see one of these i laugh. There is no replacement for a really sharp carving knife and a little skill.

7. Blair says:

@Brau,

If it is a 70’s model it isn’t “olive green”, it’s “avocado”….not to be confused with “harvest gold”…:)

Yep, another veteran of the late 60’s – early 70’s building trends.

8. Brau says:

@ Blair

Uhhh, 10-40 on the Avocado there, good buddy! 😉

9. Ken says:

Yes i do remember avocado and harvest gold. As they say a different time.