When we heard that our friends at Bosch were adding to the PS subcompact, it really wasn’t surprising to us. However, their choice of the next addition was unexpected. Bosch already had a 3/8” 12v, Li-Ion driver with the PS30 and it was good. We’re guessing that the PS31’s going to be even better.

Just glancing at photos and specs we saw the casing has a makeover, which normally means Bosch has been tinkering with the bits inside. Evidence of that comes when we started looking at the specs. The PS31 sports 265 in/lbs. of torque compared to its older brother who spits out 220. The new model also features a no-load rpm of 0-350/0-1300 in low and high gears, respectively. That is 50 less in low and 200 more rpm’s in high than the PS30.

It’s clear this is going to be a different animal but we’re curious to see it for ourselves. After seeing the specs we asked Bosch to send one out for the standard torture tests and are happy to report one is due to arrive soon.

Look for the PS31 to be hitting the local big box soon. We’ve received no official word, but it looks like it’s a complete replacement for the PS30 since it will feature a $150 price tag and go lock-step into the same 12v battery system. More on the PS31 as events occur.

PS31 3/8″ Li-Ion 12v Drill [Bosch]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Preview: Bosch PS31 3/8″ Li-Ion 12v Drill

1. Brandon says:

I love me some lithium ion

2. Gary says:

I picked up a PS30 for around $60 when an online store was having a sale in March. Nice little drill.

3. Robert says:

That drill is adorable….would look right at home in my wife’s purse. Why would anyone would pay 150 for this when for maybe 30 bucks more they can get a Makita that will be twice the drill?

4. Robert says:

The makita BDF452HW, specifically.

5. ToolGuyd says:

Robert, it’s all about the size and weight.

The compact 12V market is booming these days, and I don’t think tools like this are taking any attention away from 18V tools.

6. fred says:

@ Robert

Just like Toolguyd says – they have different applications – enough so that we have “standardized on” and buy a lot of Milwaukee M12 tools and about an equal number of Makita LXT 18 volt tools. Typically its “Installer’s” that use the M12’s – while the rough-in guys and carpenters are using their 18V cousins.

7. Neil Bruce says:

This has to be one of the most underrated products on the market.
    The UK version is the GSR10.8-2-LI and looks exactly the same as the PS31.
    We’ve had our hands on it and shot a video and it can be found at this link.
    It has the shortest head length in its class, the highest torque in its class and comes in the L-Boxx (Sortimo) storage system.

8. Steven says:

You can also find the US video at the following link:

9. JML says:

I just picked up the PS31. Lowes is offering an in-house unadvertised rebate — buy a Bosch 12V and immediately receive a free Bat411a battery from the store stock. This is the older version of the battery, not the new Bat412 that comes with the second-generation tools. Only in June 2010.

10. DustyPockets says:

I agree one of the most underrated drills out there. I got over the bigger is better thing a long time ago, the Bosch is a little gem. I have em all in my truck….. 18v cordless,corded hole-shooter but I go for the little Bosch more than I would ever think.

Dusty