This morning I was out at a friend’s garden helping her place fencing around some tomato plants. Since the pre-made garden fences for sale in our area are too narrow for our boisterous plants (and okay, we waited a few weeks too long to enclose them), we set to the task of unwinding some smaller-diameter fences we had lying around and patching them with separate pieces of garden fencing.

Our un-weeded glory

As it turns out, my friend’s tool collection is a bit thin, and we had a tough time unwinding and re-hooking wire without the appropriate tools. This brings me to the Black Rhino fencing pliers, which are designed to grap, strip, bend, pry, or whack any bit of fencing you please, and would have been quite helpful in this situation. I initially looked at Irwin’s nickel-chromium pliers which have heavier-duty handles, but the drop forged steel Black Rhinos are cheaper at only $14.49, and just fine for this purpose.

Any skilled garden-fencers out there? Share your expertise in comments!

Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Dealmonger: Black Rhino Fencing Tool

1. Michael says:

What would be really cool is if the fencing pliers had the bend at the end of the handle like the channellock’s iron workers pliers have.

2. Michael says:

I was doing some work for a widow who had her grandfathers tools. There was a pair of cattle range fencing pliers that beats anything I’ve seen sold today. I traded her a few hours of labor to get my hands on them.

Just need the range, saddle holster for the Marlin and a horse.

3. fred says:

The kind of fence pliers pictured here were designed for hammering-in and pulling out fencing (poultry) staples –wire cutting and some modest stretching.

My wife is the gardener in the family and like her Channellock Ironworkers pliers – which not only have a curved-end on one handle – but also have spring-loaded jaws.

Other fencing pliers and tools can be had at sites like Ken Cove and Boundary Fence:

4. Sprague says:

I was first introduced to those in junior high, when i worked for a farmer ripping fences out. They are very handy!

A couple of years ago i got a bucked of leftover tools from my grandpa’s estate. There was a rusty pair of those in it so I cleaned them up and plastic dipped the handles. They hang on my wall board and i use them for stubborn nails.

5. dave says:

Reader Finds: Channellock’s Fence Pliers
    By Chuck Cage
    February 26, 2007
    Besides fences they’re handy for electrical remodeling: pulling staples in attics, cutting channels in adobe walls, generally tearing things up. Get an old pair on ebay. Diamond, Crescent, Utica, or Channellock.

6. Toolhearty says:

Looks like your friend there is using the Minimum Tillage method of gardening.

🙂

7. Audra Heaslip says:

@Toolhearty Yep. 🙂 She’s my grandmother’s age and relies on outside help to till, but her plants really produce good vegetables.

8. IronHerder says:

I must be at the correct website for me. As soon as I saw the new Black Rhino Fencing Tool, I wanted one. Never mind that I already have two fencing tools. FWIW, they are wonderful tools for removing fasteners.