The parallel hooks on the end of OTC’s serpentine belt installation tool allow you to grip serpentine belts, V-belts, or timing belts and maneuver them around pulleys, especially in hard to reach areas.  The 25″ long tool weighs 10 oz. and runs about $20.

Installation Tool [OTC Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to Serpentine Belt Installation Tool

1. jeff says:

This looks ripe for a remake. I bet that would take a few readers on here about 10 minutes to make a similar one.

2. Toolhearty says:

jeff Says:

At $20, it wouldn’t be worth my time. Especially if I was in the middle of replacing a belt.

3. kyle says:

10 minunites, Ha that is an insult. I could do it in less than 5. Piece of 1×2 two 1/4 bolt and two nuts, drill two holes in the 1×2 and insert the bolts

4. jeff says:

@Toolhearty
    That’s pretty much where I was going with it but didn’t take it there in my comment. You don’t need one until you’re in the middle of replacing the belt and it would take longer to drive to the store to get one… especially if you only had access to one vehicle. In 10 minutes you would have a tool to finish instead of having to walk to the hardware store to buy it.

5. Mike47 says:

Go to Auto Zone to get your replacement belt, and borrow a tool… free. (No, I don’t work there.)

6. Toolhearty says:

@Jeff
    At some point, after realizing you needed a belt, you had to have run to the store to pick one up. Why not pick up the tools you’re going to need to do the job at the same time? 🙂

Yeah, I know, that thinking doesn’t usually work out so well for me either.

…but, yes, I see your point.

7. John says:

If you need your belt replaced, your not driving to the store to pick one up anyway.

8. Mitch says:

re: “Why not pick up the tools you’re going to need to do the job at the same time?”

I have a friend who reads the manual before starting a project. He reviews all the steps in his mind until he understands the process. He thinks about what steps are likely to cause problems. He notes what parts and what tools he’ll need and gets them beforehand. How many of you here use this method?

My method is to jump in and start wrenching on what seems appropriate. Until I get stuck and then I’ll read the manual. Or find I need a tool or part and then I’ll drive out to the store. Or break something. I can’t visualize the steps in the manual until I’m taking things apart is my excuse. Or I’m too lazy to read the manual beforehand or I assume I’m too capable to need it or I don’t have the patience.

My friend is my role model that I try to emulate. I usually fail.

9. Harry says:

There are cheaper versions out there and yes, someone could easily make their own. However, in today’s cramped engine compartments the belt tool can go a lot of places that your arms can’t. I have a Mac version and use it often. It’s worth the investment.

10. George says:

I realize it’s a V belt, but here’s a method of installation that you probably shouldn’t try:

11. paganwonder says:

@Mitch- it took years but I’ve learned there is a middle ground between excessive planning and optimistic enthusiasm- in the end the more variety of tools (experience and practice are tools also) you have the easier it is to get out of jams. Or have a brother/uncle/dad/neighbor who has lots of tools!