Either it’s a total coincidence, or somebody at Johnson Level had a sense of humor when they named their Picture Perfect Level after a frame-straightening franchise from the Simpsons. The Picture Perfect level sits on the corner of a picture or mirror at lets you know that it’s hanging straight.

They claim the Picture Perfect can read level and plumb simultaneously — yeah, if the frame is square and Euclidean geometry holds in the local region, of course it can.  Its lightweight molded body also won’t scratch the wall or the frame.

Most people who already own a torpedo level will probably think this is a waste of $3, but it’s something that you can throw in the drawer for the less mechanically inclined when they want to hang pictures.

Hmm, I wonder if it comes with a canister of wall lubricant.

Picture Perfect Level [Johnson Level]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to The Exciting World Of Frame Nudging

1. Jim says:

Comments and Tips.

It appears this device is limited to frames that have a flat horizontal and vertical edge at the corner, so no ornamental appointments on the corners.

Tip 1: Hang pictures with two hangers and a wire. It will be more stable. Even if the two hangers are not perfectly level with each other, the wire across both hangers will accommodate the slight variance.

Tip 2: Place rubber (not felt) bumpers on the two bottom corners. It will increase the resistance to bump off level, such as with a Thunderstorm or an off-balance washing machine.

Jim

2. Pete D says:

I must be missing something here. Look at the photograph and tell me what useful information is coming from vial on the right. Now if you set it down on a table, it would give you two directions of level for the table, like Johnson’s Cross Check Level, but as shown, I don’t get it.

3. Toolhearty says:

Pete D Says:

I think that’s for those modern impressionist works where you’re not sure which way is up. With this level, you can rotate the picture 90 degrees and check for level without having to move the tool.

4. turtleman1 says:

@Pete D
    Leveling pictures is just one application of this level, so the top vial is the one in use. Other applications include leveling cabinets and appliances. That’s where the other vial comes into play, as the level is used in a horizontal position for side to side and front to back leveling.
    Picture Perfect is not the best name for this device.

5. Stan says:

Could the other vial mean this is ambidextrious? You can level from the right or LEFT side of the frame?

6. Pete D. says:

I guess I was focusing on the “level and plumb” comment. I appreciate the ambidextrous suggestion, and of course the leveling a plane by laying it flat makes perfect sense. The impressionist suggestion is very creative, but I think you’re pulling my leg!

Pete D.

7. I think turtleman1 is right. I bet this product was originally sold under a different name for leveling both directions a horizontal plane like when leveling cabinets.

It probably wasn’t selling and some marketing guys decided to rebrand it. That makes more sense. That level and plumb claim in their website bothered me — hence my snarky comment in the post. Pictures frames are rectangular so you only need to measure level.

8. Jerod says:

It has a right angle which would give you plumb if the level vial is correct. As with any corner level, it has 2 vials and is able to be used on either side of a frame.

9. Rembreto says:

Any guess where Amanda works?

10. area_educator says:

“if the frame is square and Euclidean geometry holds in the local region, of course it can.”

Ok, but what about those of us who live in the vicinity of a black hole? What can we use to hang our pictures level?