Whether it’s electrical cords, air lines, or hoses, sometimes you need to run them in the path of people, cars, or other equipment. Not only can this be a tripping hazard, but it can damage the said cords, lines, and hoses.¬†Yellow Jacket makes cable protectors so tough you can run them over as long you keep your load under 10,500 lbs. per axle.

Their Bumble Bee cable protectors have five separate 1.25″ x 1.25″ channels for keeping cables safe and organized.¬†They ramp up and down to allow wheels to roll right over them. Yellow Jacket makes the protectors from their own proprietary molded polyurethane, and the yellow and black colors give the protectors a high contrast for easy visibility.

Besides straight runs you can buy turns, intersections, and end boots which all snap together. Looks like pricing starts at about $120 for one 3′ length.

Bumble Bee Cable Protectors [Yellow Jacket]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to Protect Lines, Hoses, And Cables From Traffic

1. Tom C says:

They are pricey, but you can rent them as well for special events and the like.

2. Jim says:

Wow. I am usually not one to comment much about price, but $40/lf is pricey!

This low-tech product seems like a great candidate to be constructed from post-consumer recycled plastics.

Jim

3. Simon says:

I use a lot of these (1000’s for some jobs) and they have to stand up to heavy vehicles and extreme weather yet protect sensitive cables so they need to be heavy and well constructed. So yes they are expensive but there is no alternative.

Simon

4. For stuff you can install and remove a hundred times without breakage and lay out in any pattern, I’m can believe that there IS no alternative.

For the garage/small-shop user, though, I bet there’s some cheaper way to go. The commercial product isn’t a very complex shape or made from unobtanium; it’s exactly the sort of thing that’s amenable to what the Make-magazine crowd call a “re-make”. If you don’t care if your version weighs five times as much and is a big pain to reconfigure, there are lots of options.

5. Mike says:

I’ve used many of these at public festivals and backstage. I’ve also seen shop made versions used. Where the public will be or where vehicles/equipment need to go over the ramps, the commercial versions are worth the price. Or if you have to install/remove a lot of them. If you want to rent them, many power rental companies carry them (i.e. Aggreko) and some event production companies do too. The shop made ones that I’ve seen were usually some combination of plywood and 2x scraps.

6. bajajoaquin says:

I made one out of a steel tube that had two plates welded on to provide ramps and roll resistance. I had delivery trucks roll over it many times a day for about two years, and had no failures.

Of course, as a 20′, 1″ steel tube that had two 2″ steel plates welded to its length, it wasn’t very mobile or reconfigurable. But, including the huge 100′, 4-ga cable it held, I paid less than $150 for it.

Life is a series of compromises.

7. Mr P says:

Well there are other ways. Not as good, but cheaper.

8. Brau says:

Where oh where, were these things all those years I was setting up sound systems in auditoriums and parks. Back then I’d pay whatever they want.

9. dreamcatcher says:

Hey, Mr. P

This one seems like a deal compared to the same thing offered at McMaster.

Note: McMaster’s is 36″ for $274.31 (that’s over $91 per foot!)

Why am I not making these?

10. shopmonger says:

I think for home or permanant use there would be an easy DIY solution like routing and beveling some 2×8 material, but for portable and re-use i think this is a great solutio, i saw these used at some construction sites and some machine shops i have been to….

ShopMonger