I imagine the meeting that birthed the SquareONE sounded something like this:

“All right everybody; let’s brainstorm ideas for our new product.”

“How about a tape measure and flashlight?”

“No, but I like the tape measure idea; everybody likes tape measures.”

“How ’bout a combination tape measure and coffee cup?”

“OK, I know you’re not supposed to criticize people while brainstorming, but that’s a stupid idea. You’d spill your coffee.”

“A tape measure and a square?”

“Hmm, I don’t think that’s been done before.”

“Let’s add a screwdriver.”

“No.”

“Let’s make it a level too.”

“Ooh, Ooh, let’s add a pencil sharpener.”

And so on….

Generation Tools SquareONE incorporates a tape measure into a speed-square-shaped triangle and endows it with the following functions:

• Locking tape measure
  • Square
  • Level
  • Pencil with pencil holder
  • Pencil sharpening
  • Writing surface
  • Protractor

They coat the SquareONE in rubber to protect it and make it easier to hold onto, and they triple-rivet the stainless steel and tape measure end hook. Their professional model comes with a carpenter’s pencil rather than an ordinary #2, and has a hole in the end hook for marking radii.

Generation Tools sells home models with 10′ and 12′ tapes for $7-8, shop and toolbox models with 16′ and 18′ tapes for about $9, a professional model with a 25′ foot tape for $14, and a keychain swag version with 3′ tape.

SquareONE [Generation Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Starting At SquareONE

1. Toolhearty says:

Ah, something to threaten the relatives with: “Be quiet, or I’m getting you one of these as your next Christmas gift”.

2. Office Bob says:

Toolhearty –

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing my mother hears about and then purchases for all of the men in the family for Christmas.

3. ToolGuyd says:

I bet that a TV infomercial for this would be absolutely hilarious!

4. Shalin says:

For a minimalist toolkit for yuppies, kids, or just to have a mini-toolbox set, this could actually be a good addition.

It is soooo “infomercial friendly” though…

–S

5. DeadGuy says:

All I can say is, I WANT one. No, I NEED one. It would be perfect for my motorcycle tool kit – especially if I get stuck somewhere and need to build a quick shelter – can have things out of alighment in my lean to or it might collapse!

6. Bob says:

Finally, I follow up gift once everyone has a Tripod Light. 🙂

7. Kris says:

The laser…where’s the laser…gotta have a laser………

A bottle opener would also be nice…….

8. Benjamen Johnson says:

*Slaps head*

Of course a laser… that would have been funny.

9. Dave B. says:

I think it’s trying so hard to be so many things that it would fail at doing any of those things very well.. I think thats why they have those – ah what are they called… oh yeah, tool belts. So you can carry a tape and square and pencil and …

10. Mark says:

Don’t forget the nail file!

11. Jerry says:

I hope all the Mom’s and wives forget about this thing before Christmas rolls back around.

12. Eddie says:

Looks like a Jacked up tool of all trades and master of none….

13. Joe says:

Man, I hope my mother-in-law never, ever sees this thing!

14. Gary says:

A friend of mine is completely hopeless at fixing anything. I think I’m going to have to get him one for Christmas just to torture him.

“See now, if you could drive a screw, I wouldn’t have had to do this…”

15. Deelow says:

I don’t know why the manufacturer didn’t list all of it’s features. They forgot the fact that it’s theft deterrent. I mean no one would steal it from you if they saw that in your tool box. In fact a thief might actually leave you some nice tools that he stole out of pure pity.

16. Bob says:

You can also use it as a wheel chock.

17. sluggo says:

i have used these, and they are really wonderful. i am a professional who demands alot from tools. the most handy part is that you can sketch and write notes on its durable mylar surface.. and wipe them off. pencil is included. it is quite a tool. check it out.