There are several reasons that I wish I’d had something like this recently while working on a “little” project, including the convenience of having all the things I need in one place rather than scattered throughout my pants pockets, and the potential prevention of “jean sag” because of all the stuff in those pockets. The 9-¾” × 5-¾” Bucket Boss 54045 Rear Guard tool pouch has four front pockets for tools, pencils, wallets, penlights, and so on, plus a rear padded and reinforced pouch and a clip loop for tape or keys. A snap loop secures it to your belt or tool bag.

Most of reviews for the 54045 on Amazons are positive. Online prices for this pouch are in the $8 to $9 range.

What do you Toolmongers think? Are tool pouches such as this worthwhile, or are there better alternatives when you need to carry just a few tools?

Via Bucket Boss Brand 54045 Rear Guard [What’s This?]
Street Pricing [Google products]

Tagged with:

15 Responses to Bucket Boss Rear Guard

1. Akbar Fazil says:

I use one in the shop to hold my tape, pencil, and knife. Can’t live with out it.

2. SharkBreath says:

I use this pouch at work for my emergency trauma supplies: flashlight, forceps, multi-tool, gloves, pens, vein finder, tape etc. etc. It is designed much better than any medical type pouch I have seen.

3. Scott says:

Carry this for just about everything do around the house – tape measure, pencil, pliers, knife, etc. All the little stuff you need is right there

4. browndog77 says:

Looks like a classic electrician’s pouch. One of these & a cloth nail apron was the standard garb when I was an apprentice years ago. Handy item , for sure.

5. Woody says:

I tried the CLC equivalent to these and found them lacking for my type of work. I just have too varied work for four or five tools to do it. I found myself always running back out to the van for something else within 5 minutes.

Over the years, I’ve developed a “working set” of tools that covers 95% of my needs. While it’s a heavy tote, I carry it it whenever I think I might just need a screwdriver. My experience is that I often need more than just that tool, or handful of tools.

When I have a long string of like-type work, I prefer a small work apron. Mine is homemade but similar to this. I till it to the task at hand.

In my woodshop, I have a larger apron with my measuring and marking tools.

6. 2WYKD says:

I think it would be a great piece for any motorsports guy to take to te track. I’m thinking about picking up one to use at motorcycle races and track days. Perfect bc so many fasteners are standardized on those silly machines

7. Ross says:

I have a similar but slightly larger pouch from Lee Valley that I use for work inside finished spaces when my full on framers tool belt isn’t appropriate and I a not wearing my fancy pants full of pockets. These little pouches are a very nice compromise and the problem of setting down tools followed by searching for the tools you just had in your hand.

8. Painter B says:

I’ve had one of these for about a year, I can’t live without it. Mine holds:

-3 putty knives (1.5″, 2″, 3″)
    -6-in-1
    -Multibit screwdriver
    -Utility knife
    -Carpenter’s pencil
    -Sharpie
    -Roll of tape

I could probably stuff a couple more tools in there too. It’s got a back flap thing that I stuff in my pocket so it doesn’t flop around when I’m in an awkward position. It’s easily the best tool pouch I’ve ever owned. Everyone needs to buy one.

9. Bugler says:

I like ’em. Very handy and compact.

10. jeff says:

I just use my normal tool pouch. I keep it empty most of the time and just load it with what I need. It’s light and fits like a glove. Perhaps I could use this small pouch but it would be another $9 I could spend on other tools since I already own a pouch (but larger).

Do you guys just keep em loaded with the essentials and then just strap it on when you need it?

11. David says:

I just bought one of these. I’ll let you know!

12. Joel Spangler says:

I love mine too – I keep it packed with tools I need for electrical jobs. It stays out of the way and has held up well to shoving screwdrivers down in, etc.

13. Tetsubo says:

I wear a Nite-Ize belt pouch daily. I carry my SwissTool, SwissCard, Inova X5, Cross pen and a fire starter. I also carry a cell phone, Spyderco Tenacious and carabiner watch. My wife calls it my ‘utility belt’. 🙂

14. Joe says:

I use this pouch all the time at work, in a computer lab. It comes in very handy. I reviewed it in this months issue of Makezine.

-Joe