As in working with green wood, or unseasoned timber…

If I lived just a bit closer to Nottingham, I would be interested in taking one of the green woodworking courses mentioned in the BBC’s Mastercrafts TV program. Learning how to build and use a pole lathe, a shave horse, and simple hand tools to make a chair sounds like a great idea — as does having a pint or two after a long day of “turning coppiced wood into furniture.” The picture above shows Tom Vaughn sitting at his shave horse working on a chair piece. Guy Mallinson’s courses for adults are two to five days long. They run from 9:00 (tea and coffee — wonder if they do elevensies?) with a 9:30 start and end at 5:00, with a stop for lunch, and breaks for tea, coffee, biscuits, and cake — I like cake — during the morning and afternoon. The five-day Pole Lathe & Shaving Horse class costs ┬ú525 (or around $812).

But since I’m stuck on this side of the pond, maybe I’ll just turn on PBS and watch Roy Underhill instead.

TV Programme Renews Interest in Old Woodworking Craft [BBC]
The Greenwood Chair Project [Tom Vaughan]
Woodland Workshop [Guy Mallinson Ltd]

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Green Woodworking

1. Shalin says:

Nice…I think I’d like to take a course like that too. I wonder if being more, dare I say, “green lumberjack-like” would catch on with young homeowners…hmmm…

Personally, I’d give up the convenience of a power tool for a more rewarding experience and lesson in and practice of patience. While I’m at it – God bless the old Craftsman push-handdrill my Dad has that I grew up using – best handy-handtool on Earth! ­čÖé

Considering “green woodworking – here’s a funny but really interesting ~6min video of evaluating how green the building of a house is when considering total energy, water, and carbon footprint. Good new build vs. retrofit approach comparison too…

Best,
    Shalin

2. Shalin says:

ah…misunderstood then, and I guess a little nostalgic about projects my Dad and I would do ­čśë

Thanks @Stainless.

3. Wheels17 says:

Roy Underhill’s show is available online at:

It goes back to 2006, so there are a lot of shows unavailable.

He’s been on for 29 years.

4. David Antis says:

Let me highly recommend Don Weber’s classes in the Paint Lick, KY (just outside of Berea). I’ve taken his shaving horse class and it was great!. Check out his offerings at:

5. Mike47 says:

Shaving horse class??? How does the horse stand still for that? ;>)

6. shopmonger says:

I like using green wood fro simply outdoor projects, as long as you compensate for it and use the right glue and in many cases the right fasteners it can be long lasting and very inexpensive furniture or outdoor decorations

ShopMonger

7. Woody says:

Another good choice is Drew Langsner. He’s in the hills of western North Carolina. I went there to a chair making class years ago. Monday: log on ground. Friday noon: packing up a chair for a trip home.

8. Gary says:

Saint Roy!

Almost always prefer turning green wood to dry.

9. Seamus says:

If you’re using glue and fasteners
    you’re not doing it right