Yesterday we posted a Mastercraft tool from Canadian Tire that turned an ordinary drill into a hammer drill. Today we look at their impact driver adapter, which turns a drill into an impact driver and supposedly can increase its torque by an order of magnitude.

The 3/8″ hex shaft input shaft chucks into the drill and a ring near the input shaft adjusts the torque setting. Although it’s hard to see it the above picture, the output shaft is a bit curious. The outside of the shaft accepts 1/2″ square drive impact sockets and the inside of the shaft accepts 1/4″ hex drive insert bits.

If you want to use the 6-3/4″ long by 2-3/4″ diameter adapter with a cordless drill, you probably should use a 14.4V model or better. Look to spend about $40 on this tool.

Impact Driver Adapter [Canadian Tire]
Impact Driver Adapter [Duluth Trading Company]

17 Responses to Turn Just About Any Drill Into An Impact Driver

1. Jim German says:

“Easily converts an existing drill to an impact wrench or impact drive”

This sounds rather shady to me, i mean an impact driver and an impact wrench aren’t even the same thing. And what are the torque limits? Although for $40 I suppose its worth a gamble.

2. Dan says:

I have one of these, and it works surprisingly well. I dunno how much torque it actually puts out, but when I tried it chucked into a (12v) cordless drill, it was enough to loosen most of the lug nuts on my car wheels. (not all, though)

Now, those were tightened with the not-very-scientific “tighten, yank, then yank again harder” approach — I’m not sure what that translates to as ft/lbs output, sorry, but it was enough to be useful.

3. Ted says:

Anything with a Mastercraft label on it equals “run away” in my book. Every gimmick and geegaw you could possibly imagine is available for sale at Canadian Tire, their tool department is the equivalent of a carnival sideshow.

t

4. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

I use my Makita LXT 18V impact driver for 90% of what I do – even drilling small & medium sized holes. I use it because it is light weight, convenient and powerful. My favorite tool!

It seems to me that adding a big appendage to a regular drill will eliminate two of those benefits – it will be neither light weight nor convenient.

If I didn’t have the Makita (or equivalent), I think I’d stick to my regular drill, and get out a wrench or a bigger drill if I needed more torque.

5. rg says:

I’ve never used this device, but for the doubters Canadian Tire has an excellent return policy, so you can try it, and if you don’t like it, just bring it back for a full refund. I’ve never had a problem with them.

6. nev says:

I cannot find one anywhere… I Have a heavy duty black and decker corded drill…I don’t want to buy a compressor they are too expensive for what I need it for ( DIY driveway mechanic)

This adaptor would eliminate my venture for an expensive 28 volt cordless ($500) or a compressor with Air wrench ($200 for entry level)and I dont need the drill anymore (hardly ever) ….

This adaptor seems like the answer to my problem, and after hours of key word changing on google and stores online from all over the world…I am getting worried some major company has bought out the patent (to secure the market for air compressors and corless alternatives)

Please, can someone tell me if they are still available? and if so where?…you would make my day to say the least.

Cheers.

7. Karim says:

Bought one,btw not all CT stores carry them however I found them at marine way CT in BC canadaI think it is D/C, pretty good helped me loosen the nut off an electric motor shaft that I could not do it without, because the motor kept spinning even a the lowest setting

I recommend it

8. Ralph Landolfi says:

I defenetly recommend this tool
    Purchased it 6 years ago and have used it changing tires on 5 cars twice a year .Works great , a must have for do it yourselfers. By the way I live in Montreal and this unit can still be found here in Quebec

9. Ben Zhou says:

Hello, where can I find this tool? I checked Canadian Tire but could not find it.

10. Grant says:

Is it available on Amazon?

11. Jimbo Slice says:

Anyone know why this tool has disappeared off the face of the earth?

I need one but im a but concerned that you cant find them online anywhere. Did people die using these or something?

• Anon says:

They don’t seem to be around, probably better to buy a good cheap electric one, the ones that plug in to the mains are cheap and heaps more torque than these things. Kobalt sell a cheap corded one at Lowes that has good torque.

• Jay says:

I too I have been looking. All I see are wholesalers on Alibaba, minimum order 1000 pcs. Hell can’t even find them at CT online. Has anyone succeeded in finding where we can buy these things stateside?

12. Truckster says: