Calculated Industries, the folks who brought you all those neat calculators (e.g., Construction Master, ElectriCalc, ConcreteCalc, KithenCalc, PlumbingCalc, and more), now bring you the Prexiso X2 Laser Distance Measurer. The X2 measures with an accuracy ≤ ± 1/8″ over a range of 4″ to 100′. It can display the results in feet & inches, inches, or meters. It also — as you might expect from this company — calculates: areas, volumes, and, via Pythagoras, indirect measurements of height (measure to top; measure to bottom; it solves for height) or width (measure near point; measure far point; it solves for width) — you measure two sides of a right triangle, and it calculates the third side. The $99.95 X2 is powered by two AAA batteries (included), has auto shut-off after 3 minutes, weighs only 3.5 oz., and comes with a carrying case and a two-year warranty.

If given the opportunity, where would you use this laser measurer?

Prexiso X2 Laser Distance Measurer [Manufacturer’s Site]
Calculated Industries Prexiso X2 3350 Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

12 Responses to Prexiso X2 Laser Distance Measurer

1. Old Coot says:

As an insurance inspector I’m often required to create a footprint diagram of homes and commercial buildings and would love to have something like this to replace my wheel-tape. If I understand correctly, I could stand back say 20 feet from a long wall, shoot to both ends, and it would give me the wall length. FYI, great precision not important as the wheel-tape readings are hardly accurate after bouncing over lumpy stucco or over a rough concrete sidewalk. Would appreciate comments from anyone who’s got some hands-on experience with this gadget.

2. fred says:

I’m continually impressed with how electronic instruments seem to keep getting better – with more features – and can be sold at a lower price point. While handheld laser distance measuring devices are not quite up to what you can do with a Total Station – they can do a lot at much lower cost. We’ve been using a few Leica models for a while – and have found them to be useful – with some limitations (like distance) depending on the model, whether you use a target etc. The Leica Disto D5’s we use – are quite a bit pricier than this unit’s $99 price tag – but a whole lot less costly compared to the total station we use – and lock up between jobs.
    If this tool gets good reviews and proves accurate it will find uses similar to what we use the Disto’s for like : cabinet installs, door jamb and window framing measurements (nice to be able to measure at several points and save the measurements without needing a pencil) and even small foundation work.

3. FredP says:

When you need it, it’s the best tool around. I have a laser measuring device (different brand) that I love. I needed a floor plan of my house, and it sped up the process a lot. It was also great when I needed to create plans for the outside of my house. When you’re measuring outside, a range of 100′ is a big plus. It’s also way faster to point a dot at a surface 100′ away than is to either attach a tape and walk away (and back to retrieve the tape end) or to walk there and back using a wheel.

Finally, when I built a retaining wall along sloping ground, it was much more accurate than trying to use a tape that sags, or run a wheel along the ground of what would be the hypotenuse of a triangle and then doing the height measurement and the math to calculate the length of the wall.

4. Ben says:

“Would appreciate comments from anyone who’s got some hands-on experience with this gadget.”

I have the Stabila LD300 (http://www.stabila.com/main.taf?p=1,2,3,7) which has similar specs as this one and can’t be happier. I’ve compared the measurements made with my LD300 with a standard measuring tape and it was extremelly accurate. Gary Katz uses it to install moldings (http://www.garymkatz.com/video/DVD_sponsors/stabila1.wmv) and I doubt he would put his name or even use this technique if it wasn’t reliable and accurate.

I wish I had one of those laser measuring device during my former career as an architect technician. I had to do so many surveys in large existing buildings and had to add up all my measurements. Also, we had to be two technicians, one to help hold the tape and the other one to write the dimensions… Now you can work alone and the measured dimension stays on your screen until you wrote it down… You minimize the chances of making errors.

You got it, this an indispensable tool in my opinion!

5. Jacob says:

Just a though, the Bosch DLR130K is the same price and claims 1/16th accuracy over a slightly larger range (2″-130′) and its smaller. http://amzn.to/aGCjTw

6. Daz says:

I have the Bosch dLR130K and it’s a great device, but I can see where built-in calculations of length/height using the Pythagorean theorem would be handy. For wall lengths, it’s not always the case where you have a target to bounce the laser off off. The indirect measuring method will be less accurate than 1/8″ unless you’re certain that the device is shooting perfectly perpendicular to the surface, and you can rotate the device to shoot the second distance, without moving it too much.

7. karst says:

I have a Fluke laser tape and it was just a little bit more. I use mine in cave survey. The Fluke seems to be fairly tough but not really built for the cave environment. I tend to baby it when I have it underground.

8. Rob says:

I’ve got the Stanley variant of such tools, and it serves quite well for making simple measurements. But beware! Don’t expect ease of use when trying to do anything even the least bit complicated (like the triangle stuff) on a device with 4 buttons. The user interface aspects of these devices lags far behind their technical capabilities. If your use would involve anything more than answering “how far between pt A and pt B?”, then put up the money for whatever tool you can find that makes your intended usage convenient, without requiring you to memorize cryptic multi-step pressings on a tiny collection of nearly-unlabeled buttons.

9. rg says:

@ Old Coot:

Funny you should mention. Just the other month I had an insurance underwriter inspecting my house. He had one of these types of measuring devices, and I asked him about it. He gave me a demonstration, and we pointed it at a rafter about 20′ away and checked it with my measuring tape. It was bang on within 1/16″ of an inch. In fact my tape was probably out, just due to droop.

Sorry I don’t recall the manufacturer or model, but he said he paid around $600 CAD. He thought it was worth every penny for speeding up his work and it’s accuracy.

10. Blair says:

You had me at Construction Master, seriously one of the best tools I have ever had (note to self: buy another after the last one sprouted legs).

If this tool is of the quality, and usefulness to me as it’s cousin calculator, it too will be a constant companion when bidding jobs.

(And no, I have no affiliation with the company that makes them).

11. John says:

I have a similar tool but it has a range of 165′ with an accuracy of 1/16″. My model is branded Johnson and even does indirect measurements. It appears I was able to fond more tool for the same money.

12. Tom says:

I am looking for a device that will measure distance like this one. However, I don’t need the display, I want to connect it to a computer, via USB or serial. I am looking to connect several of these to read different measurements simultaneously. I should also be able to refresh from the computer as well. Does anyone know where I could by a device like that or find instructions to build one?