If you only need a hammer drill occasionally, perhaps you could get by with this Mastercraft hammer drill adapter. After chucking the adapter into your drill, you activate the hammering action by holding onto the adapter while you operate the drill.

The adapter requires a drill with at least a 3/8″ chuck. If you want to use the adapter with a cordless drill it should probably be a 12V or higher model. Canadian Tire retails this hammer drill adapter for $25. And for some reason, Duluth Trading Company charges $35 for their seemingly identical version.

Hammer Drill Adapter [Canadian Tire]
Hammer Drill Adapter [Duluth Trading Company]

11 Responses to Turn Just About Any Drill Into A Hammer Drill

1. rg says:

Canadian Tire generally has pretty good prices, particularly when they put an item on sale — which is often. I was surprised to see another item on the Duluth web site which was clearly branded Mastercraft, Canadian Tire’s brand name. Maybe they import these items via Canadian Tire, which is a huge chain in Canada. They carry a few unique tools you won’t find anywhere else.

2. mbaker says:

What I don’t get is why some one would spend $25 on a crappy hammer drill attachment at best when you can buy a $60 new ryobi hammer drill or a refurbed Bosch or other good name hammer drill for the $60-$100 range. If you want to get out for only spending a little bit of money for the small amount of work that attachment could actually get done, it would be better to go down to the hardware store and plop down $15 to rent DeWalt hammer drill for a day. This to me falls into the category of really odd, useless stuff.

3. Blind says:

Am I mistaken in thinking that my 1/2″ chucked corded drill would most likely be more useful for any task that this attachment would be used for?

4. berettaguy says:

That brings up a good question. I’ve been drilling holes in things using my drill for years, into everything from wood, to masonry, to various car parts. Where are you supposed to use hammer drill functionality? Are you inspired to do the “stop–hammertime!” dance afterwards??

5. Blair says:

Guys, the hammer drill does have it’s place, for what I do it’s an old Black &
    Decker Commercial model, that I bought re-furbished 25 years ago, and it’s still going strong. Invaluable with it’s 1/2 ” chuck, for setting Tap Cons, etc. I don’t know if this unit would replicate the level of performance of that old B&D, or not, but for the DIY guy, it just might.

For the people that think they can just do anything because their drill has a buttload of volts, or a high re-charge rate, try drilling over 100 1″ deep 1/4″ holes in 20,00 PSI concrete.

But I will try to stay on topic, this might be a valuable accessory for a homeowner, or “sometime” user, but other than that I would rely on the “pro tools” from a number of manufactures, or even rent what you need if you can’t borrow it.

As for me, I’ll stick to old “speedy” (I’m sure Fred, and a few others will get the reference )

6. shopmonger says:

Blair, I totally agree, this should be used sparingly, besides not being the best way of getting through masonry, you could also go into HF and get a hammer drill for like $20…and they work fine……….

Another thing that concerns me,,,, the bearing in your standard drill are not designed for the hammering action…. so they will get undo wear and tear , in fact if you were to use this for a long period you could ruin your standard drill.

As for when to use hammer action…… i would say when cutting masonry, rock, even some brittle hardwoods cut s tad easier with the hammer action, oh an sometimes it can be useful when using that pesky hole saw in large timber..

ShopMonger

7. fred says:

@Shopmonger

Re: using a pesky hole saw in large timber – the solution is not a hammer drill – but using a selfeed bit with a corded (not cordless) drill that has enough power – like a Milwaukee Super Hole Hawg.

What we have found, over the years, is that using an ½-inch drive electric impact gun with an auxiliary chuck mounted – helps you drill through materials (like steel wide flanges) where torque-reaction at breakthrough would otherwise be a wrist breaker. Of course, if you have the option of being able to mount a magnetic drill press – you can avoid hand-holding altogether.

8. Mrten says:

If you need holes in concrete this is not the tool to buy. Get a cheap rotary hammer, you will be done much much earlier and your neighbors (and ears, and bearings) will thank you.

9. Shopmonger says:

Fred i agree but we are talking cheap solution here, the hammering action does help going through with large hole saws. I too agree that having hole hawg or something equal is a great solution but not a low buck solution.

ShopMonger

10. Paul says:

Let me get this straight, this adapor will convert a drill into a hammer drill, or would it be a rotary hammer drill?

11. HENRY FREDRICKSON says: